St Maarten

Saint Maarten Travel Blog

We were told St Maartan was tyhe place for shopping in the Caribbean, esp. if you were after electrical items.....I don't agree. For things like Cameras and Laptops the prices were the same, we saw one shop selling Wii Resorts for $100?! Alochol on the other hand was an absolute STEAL! I was gutted my bag was heavy going or I'd have bankrupt myself here! For bottles of Absolute you were paying less than half the price you would in England, for bottles twice the size! It wa sthe same with most of the alcohol. I never understand why people go on holiday waste their time buying drink for a couple of pound cheaper, but here you'd be crazy not too!

I enjoyed the place, but it was made up entirely of shops, jewellery shops mainly selling the same thing, or at least the area we docked in was (I think there's only actually one). The beach looked really nice, but again you did get some hassel from people trying to sell sun beds and jet skis etc. The front is also lined with bars and restaurants, these weren't so pushy, which was nice, and the service was great if you did go in, and the Mud SLide cocktails even better!

Just off from the port is the best sweet shop ever! It's called Willi-wonkers and is run by a Canadian who went to St Maarten for a holiday and decided he loved it so much he came back to live. It sells the best sweets, I don't think I've ever been so excited in a sweet shop as when I realised he sold Nerds! I'd totally forgotten about them! He had a few other sweets that you can't get in England now like chewy gobstoppers. Overall, I'd like to have seen more of the Island, but I'd still give it a good recomendtions, the people were great!

Saint Maarten