Mount Kinabalu we're coming for you

Mount Kinabalu Travel Blog

The breakfast at the Meridien could wake the dead it is so good.  Lots of business travellers and me in my sandals grabbing food hand over fist mixing the best of the east and the west.  Hot food, cold food and a surprise ‘eye-opener’ on the way in.  I thought this was juice but it turned out to be more like a kamikaze shot, much to my surprise!  Couldn’t even get 24 hours off the booze!

Another wander around the pool and then time to checkout.  The concierge got a taxi hooked up for us which was I think 400 MYR return to Mt. Kinabalu park.  The taxi ride was great, lots to see in the city bits and before you know it you’re up to the mountains.

I didn’t think we could make some of the hills but then I saw some of the local transport doing just fine and driving equally as fast (100mph minimum speed it seemed) so I thought ‘no problems here’.  The rain set in next and the word rain doesn’t really describe it.  The road turned to a river and we slowed to 90 mph.

Atop the next hill our driver pulled over to show us what we were in for.  A grand view of Kinabalu perfectly hemmed in by clouds and pouring water off it in raging waterfalls all across the peaks.  Man did it look inviting. Not.  The view was pretty cool though.  Lots of farms and village in the valley and then this huge looming mountain in the distance.  It still hadn’t sunken in that this was going to be a real tough hike.

I was confident that my 10 minute run the week before had me in shape (we did actually train and you should too!).

After 2.5 hours in the taxi we arrived at Sutera Lodges.  You have to pre-book these as they fill up and you need accommodation at the top.  The offices close at 5 so get there before then and you can be all checked in for the next day’s climb.  I signed at least a dozen forms and soon we were off to our lodge.  A beautiful cabin like setup called Liwagu Lodge.  They have all kinds of accommodation here so check the websites.  The place was great and the mess hall was the same building so we hit the shop for last minute supplies, ate dinner, did some reading and prepared for the climb.

Mount Kinabalu