Day 2

Utila Travel Blog

 › entry 3 of 6 › view all entries
6am a staff member wakes us up from our sleep with a pot of coffee at our door.  I had mine with sugar no cream and Kim (my roommate) had cream no sugar.  So we got ourselves together and drank our coffee from the privacy of our balcony from our room and listened to the Roosters off in the distance and the boat tailed grackles calling in the AM.  Listening to the sounds of the waves crashing against the land. Watching the needlefish and the juv. baracuda feed in the shallows all from our balcony.  After our coffee we went downstairs because at 7am is breakfast time.  We opened our door and there laid Kims bag, but still no sign of my luggage.  I went to the owner of the facility and reported that my bags still have no arrived.  She told me that a plane wont be able to come back to this Island until Friday, but they would do all they can to assure that my gear is safe and if they can get a plane out earlier they would. I promised myself I would not let that ruin my trip.  I had my first stage, reg, mask, snorkel, fins. What I did not have is the clothes I packed in my check baggage, toiletries, BCD, and wetsuit.  They fitted me for all the gear I needed before I sat down for breakfast to make sure I was good to go.  After Breakfast we boarded the boat about 8am for our first dive of the trip.  It had rained earlier so the vis was not as good and it was overcast.  Not the combo you want when going diving and hoping to see Whale Sharks.  (I'll give more details of the dives on a special entry titled Dive Log) After our first dive getting back on the boat was the last thing I wanted to do.  The water was actually much warmer than the air. While on the boat on the way to a dive site or inbetween dive site I am always listening and sometimes singing Country Music! After our first two dives we came back to the Lodge for a quick nap before they rang the bell for lunch.  We were all excited to get our first two dives behinds us and we talked about the different species we seen, peoples diving behaviors and what we hope to see here on out.  It was a great group of people on the trip.  We all were different in our own little way but we all had diving in common and it went on from there.  The afternoon dive came around pretty quick.  But the sun came out from hiding and was able to dry out our wetsuit before we had to slide it back on.  Our Boat Captain Willie and our Dive Master Josh had very strong scottish accents, which made it a lot of fun to hear them speak! They would bicker with each other often, but it was all out of fun.  They both are very knowledgable not only about diving but good things and bad things to know when walking around in Utila.  After our afternoon dive we came back to the Lodge and jumped into the hottub to warm up briefly and have our first drink.  Rum Punch!!!  Very good!!! A few of us then ventured our way into the bar where we continued to drink more Rum Punch until dinner time.  After dinner Kim and I strolled to the end of the pier and checked out the stars for the few hours before we decided it was getting close to bed time because 6am would roll around pretty fast. 
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: Yoshu