Inbetween travels - Planning my next big trip: The Road to Travel

Ciudad Juarez Travel Blog

My road to travel

Now that I have a rough idea of where I want to go and when I want to go, I can start figuring out HOW I am going to get there. So the mind-game begins... firstly, how to travel? There are three apparent choices: By air, by land and by sea. By sea would be a really stupid choice for me because I'm land-locked and i don't have that kind of money. By land is a cheap option and is really useful. However, given the fact that I'm on the far north of Mexico and I'd need to cross it all the way so I could reach either Belize or Guatemala makes it both expensive on the long run and just not practical as it would consume a huge chunk of my available time just to get there.

Then the obvious option apears ever more obvious, travel by air...by airplane that is, because it is physically impossible for me to actually fly (at least at the present time). Once again the path splits, this time into two options: Fly from El Paso or Fly from Ciudad Juarez.

Aerobus logo
The fact that I'm in a border town is both an advantage and a disadvantage. Is an advantage because I have the option to choose between two airports from two cities in two countries. It is a disadvantage because neither of them will fly me directly, meaning that i'll have to take several flight to go anywhere.

If I fly from Juarez, I'd probably have to use one of the usual airlines and splash a handful of money just for the flight, and also wait for up to a day in Mexico City until my connecting flight leaves. This doesn't look to good. If I fly from El Paso I'd have to fly to houston or phoenix to get a decent flight towards central america. So I go to www.kayak.com and search for flights. Finally I find the best option so far: a round flight for $640 USD. I think I can still do better. So now I turn back towards mexican airlines and start looking one by one for flights that could bring me close to Belize. Chetumal and Cancun being the clsest options. The best option was in the end Mexican low-cost airline Viva Aerobus. I worked out a decent itinerary taking from Ciudad Juarez to Moterrey and then to Cancun (and of course, back) for less than $300 USD. Once in Cancun I shall take a bus to Chetumal and in there one more bus to Belize City, or anywhere in Belize for that matter.