Tjolöholms Slott or the British in Sweden

Tjolöholm Travel Blog

Several years ago my brother in law told me about a castle build in british style located at the banks of the Kungsbackafjord. I recognized the road sign several times when I passed it but for some reason I've never been there. I had to chance that ;)

Tjolöholm Castle is one of Scandinavia’s leading Arts and crafts properties. The luxurious castle was finished in 1904, and is said to be one of Sweden’s most amazing buildings. The architect Lars Israel Wahlman designed it in the Tudor style for merchant James Fredrik Dickson and his wife, Blanche. The Castle’s lavish fittings had all the modern comforts of the day, such as one of the first vacuum cleaners, which weighed almost a ton, and state of the art surround showers. During the summer you the chance to go on a guided tour of the castle in English. Public tours take place every day during the summer season, and every weekend the rest of the year.
A british castle in Sweden
Visitors are shown round many of the castle’s 36 rooms. On a dramatised tour you have the chance to meet the castle’s owner, Mrs Blanche Dickson, or her daughter, Countess Bonde.

The Castle’s architect Lars Israel Wahlman did not only design the castle but also the surrounding parkland and garden. Nearest the castle a formal, structured garden was built, which gradually changes to adjust to the nearby countryside, giving the impression that the castle grew up out of its surroundings.
Tjolöholms peninsular is well known for its rich wildlife and vegetation. Countless paths run through ancient oak forests, coastal meadows and deciduous woodland, alongside coastline with breathtaking views.
There is a long tradition of bathing at Tjolöholm. Generations of visitors have enjoyed swimming in the salt water beside the castle. Today there is a small sandy beach for children, and a bathing platform with wheelchair access.

Group tours, in Swedish, English, German or French can be booked year round (Source: webpage Tjolöholms Slott)

It isn't allowed to go into the castle on your own, you have to book a tour. Well, before our tour in german started we had some time to stroll around the garden. Since dogs are allowed in the garden but not in the castle Buddy enjoyed our walk before he had to wait in the car until the tour was over. This is not a big deal. He mostly sleeps anyway - lol.

The tour was very interesting and the guide told us a lot about the merchant, his wife and the history of the house. Unfortunately it wasn't allowed to take photos inside the house. I only took one before they catched me ;)

We spent the night close to Falkenberg.

A british castle in Sweden
Only 1 pic from inside - they catc…
Only 1 pic from inside - they cat…
Tjolöholm