At night the rain finally stopped but it was still dull and grey. We headed north on the E6 and a short while after we left Gothenburg we saw the Bohus fortress from the highway. I've never been there although I've passed it so many times. We had no other plans, so we left the highway for a closer look.
The mediveal castle lies along the old Norwegian - Swedish border in Kungälv, Bohuslän about 20 km north of Gothenburg. It commands its surroundings from a 40 meter high cliff, with the Göta river forming a natural moat about it. The construction began in 1308 under King Haakon V. At the time Bohuslän was Norwegian territory and it served as a main Norwegian defense against Sweden along the coast as well as the strong point for the Bohuslän region from 1308 until 1658.
The fortress was invested numerous times, but was never captured.
It was amazing to stroll around there. Sometimes I wish myself a time machine to observe what happened at that times.
After 2 hours we headed further to the city of Trollhättan. At first we did some sightseeing. From my guide book I've learnt that the first hydropower station in Sweden was opened in Trollhättan in the late nineteenth century and I was curious to see it. It wasn't as exciting as I thought.
After a walk along the river we decided to find a campground first. A bit out of town we found one. At the check-in the owner told us that the place is very wet and we have to look for a dry place by ourselves. If we find one we can come back later to pay the fee.
OK, we crossed the place 2 times since wet was a nice word for flooded ;) At the second time Jantje went by foot next to the camper looking for a dry place. She tried several ones and finally she got one. So thought we. I drove onto it and while still driving I recognized that it was too muddy and wanted to drive out again. But we were already trapped. The tires were sunken into the mud :( No chance to free them without making it more worse. So what to do now?? We went back to the check-in and told the owner about our problem. He was very helpful and offered us to tow us out the mud with his tractor. It wasn't as easy as he thought since the angle we stood to the paved path was bad but after a while and several tries we made it :D The camper was back on paved ground. To avoid another accident like that we asked the owner for help. Since he knows the terrain better than us, he should decide where to stay. After several tries he found a place for us. Usually we would have driven to another campground but we didn't know where the next one was and how its conditions were. So, this place would be as good as any other. At least it was still dry which let us hope that we would leave the campground without any incidents the next day.
After dinner we went into town for some sightseeing.