On to Carmel

Carmel-by-the-Sea Travel Blog

California Coastline

The Hearst’s Castle tour took most of the morning (well worthwhile). So, this was a short day and the destination was Carmel. This section of California 1, near Big Sur, is the most famous and the most beautiful. Signature concrete arch highway bridges span the tall coastal cliffs as the cliffs plunge down to meet the sea.

Lunchtime found us at the Nepenthe restaurant at Big Sur. There is an impressive view of the ocean and coast at Big Sur from this restaurant perched on a cliff. The atmosphere at Nepenthe was mellow and the staff very laid back.

Arriving at Carmel, we stayed at the Jade Tree Inn. We were soon exploring the town on foot and looking at the many shops and galleries. We had a nice dinner and enjoyed a local wine. At the restaurant was a couple with small children. We wondered why parents would take small children to dinner at such a restaurant. LOL! We weren’t parents then!

Andy99 says:
Highway 1 was two lanes, very twisty and narrow, people may have stopped, guardrails were not prominent on the curves, and there can be fog. You do need to keep your wits about you when driving it, but I would drive it again.
Posted on: Oct 22, 2007
jenn79 says:
Ok, so 101 to San Luis Obipso and then switched to 1 all the way to Carmel? Do you remember if it was safe? My friend in Santa Barbara just told me there is no railguard between the road the the edge of the cliff! And something about falling rocks, I think I fainted at the thought already.. =)
Posted on: Oct 21, 2007
Andy99 says:
We drove 101 from Santa Barbara through Buelton to San Luis Obispo. From San Luis Obispo we took 1 along to coast to Cambria, San Simeon and Carmel. Especially up around Big Sur it is one of the most scenic drives I've ever been on!
Posted on: Oct 21, 2007