Travel to Manaus

Manaus Travel Blog

Today was mainly a travel day. We went to the Rio International airport and caught a flight on TAM to Manaus. Every time we took a flight in Brazil, it seemed to be raining and storming outside, which made me nervous. But, hopefully, the pilots are used to it. The flight was delayed a few hours, so we didn't end up arriving in Manaus until fairly late, around 11PM at night.

Daniel, a guide from Maia Expeditions picked us up at the airport and drove us to our hotel (Hotel do Largo). I needed to withdraw some money from the ATM, but Daniel mentioned that there was a rule in Manaus (or maybe all of Brazil?) so that ATM withdrawals were limited after 10:00PM. Apparently, this rule was in effect due to the frequency of "quicknappings" -- where an armed mugger would confront someone late at night, and make them withdraw large sums of money from the ATM. I couldn't withdraw any money at all from any ATMs. Although it was a bit disconcerting that they had to enact a law/rule to help remedy this situation, it seems like a fairly effective one (unless, of course, the mugger isn't aware of the restriction and just gets more angry!)

The hotel was basic but clean and had wireless internet. It should tell you how tired I was that I only checked my email for a minute or two before crashing into bed!
Manaus Hotels & Accommodations review
Slightly better than a dorm room
We stayed here the night before heading to our tour of the Amazon with Maia Expeditions. We arrived late at night, and left early in the morning, so i… read entire review
Manaus