Exploring Leblon

Rio de Janeiro Travel Blog

Brazilian money. Each denomination has a different animal. Very colorful and cool looking!
Both Lisa and I were jet-lagged and tired from our previous day and a half of sitting on planes and in airports, so we ended up sleeping until nearly 1PM local time (which, to be fair, is still 7AM in Los Angeles!). We decided to just take it easy and walk around the neighborhood.

The first thing we noticed upon stepping outside was the heat. The temperature was in the 90's F, but, accounting the the humidity, the weather reports said it "felt like" 105 F. Within a minute of stepping outside I was literally drenched in sweat. I don't know how the cariocas (residents of Rio) do it, but everyone else was walking around perfectly fine, not one droplet of sweat on their faces. Days like this make me appreciate the fact that LA is in the desert, and our heat is a dry one.
Million dollar apartments in Leblon

We ate lunch at a popular salad bar/vegetarian cafe and then walked along the beach. The beaches here were very crowded and everyone was quite tan. There are many tales about how scantily clad people are at the beaches in Rio, but nothing seemed too scandalous to me. It seemed like a fairly normal beach scene: families sitting under orange umbrellas, bronzed people tanning themselves even further, and little kids playing in the shore break. Unfortunately, I didn't see any surf or surfers around. I would like to get some surf in while I'm here, but not sure if the conditions will be good, or if my left arm (which I hurt a few weeks ago surfing in Santa Barbara) will be up for it. We'll see!

For dinner we ate at a restaurant called Carlota. It was a small, romantic little restaurant on a nice street in Leblon. The service and atmosphere were quite good, but the food was a bit of a let down. I ordered the filet mignon with fig risotto, but the steak was really rubbery and chewy, quite possibly the rubberiest steak I've ever had. The risotto was good, though. I also had my first Caipirinha here, a distilled sugar cane, lime, and sugar concoction that was quite tasty. It is one of the most popular drinks in Brazil, and was a good relief from the humidity and heat!

dahling says:
Risotto with figs sounds fabulous.. never even thought of this before.. will try sometime. Rubbery steak - I know what you mean, I live with rubbery steaks...but, not surprised, have not seen a patch of really juicy green grass yet...
Posted on: Jan 28, 2010
Koralifix says:
Congrats on having this blog featured! Good on you!
Posted on: Jan 28, 2010
jenn79 says:
oh dear! I hope your arm is doing ok and you get some surfing time in.
I always ask bartenders to make me virgin Caipirinhas and they always laugh at me, but when they take the time to do it, it's always yummy! =)
Posted on: Jan 19, 2010
Brazilian money. Each denomination…
Brazilian money. Each denominatio…
Quiet residential streets