Arrival after 31 hours of travel

Rio de Janeiro Travel Blog

Late night layover at a deserted, freezing cold Mexico City airport
We left for LAX around 10AM on Jan 10 and arrived at our hotel in Rio at 11PM Jan 11th, which, accounting for time differences, was about 31 hours of travel! I don't think I've ever spent so long in uninterrupted transit, and by the end of the day my back was hurting from sitting or standing the whole time. We had a 5 hour layover in Mexico City and another 7 hour layover in Sao Paulo.

Our flight from Sao Paulo to Rio was delayed a few hours due to thunderstorms. It was a bit nerve-racking during takeoff because you could see lightning bolts flashing all around us. During a recent flight from Beijing to LAX, the plane I was in was hit by lightning, and although nothing bad happened I didn't feel like repeating the experience! After a while we cleared the clouds and descended on the sprawling night lights of Rio.
Lisa is excited to speak Spanish!

After landing in Rio we took a taxi to our hotel in Leblon. We really couldn't see much at night, so we didn't really get an idea of what the city looked like. Near the airport, a lot of the buildings seemed quite old, and the amount of graffiti would make taggers in LA burn with jealousy. The only images I remember were of a group of people huddled near a burning trash can under an overpass, and a barefoot kid walking along with a gigantic bag of balloons along the side of the highway.

Even though we arrived at our hotel at 11PM, there were still a lot of people out on the streets, eating and drinking. There seemed to be lots of groups of 16 year old kids out, roaming around and meeting up with friends. We got a quick dinner at a fast food type place. Lisa ordered an Acai berry drink that you ate with a spoon (Acai Copo?). Acai is a huge diet rage in Los Angeles right now and the advertisements you see there would have you believe that it could cure any ailment, so it was interesting to order at a place where it was just normal and not hyped up. It had a slightly grainy and sweet taste, but overall it was quite mild.

After dinner, we took a long, much needed rest!

ledoka1982 says:
Lisa, I'm glad you enjoyed my country. Rio is one of the most beautiful city in the world. I'm not saying this because I'm from Brazil, BUT because it is true. I have traveled just about half of the wold and so far Rio come first even from Paris. Although Brazil doesn't offer much of culture compare to France. BUT the natural beauty is fascinating. I lived in Rio 5 years while attending university, now I live in USA for 32 years, I go to Brazil for 3 month every year and I often visit at least for one week. BRAZIL language is Portuguese NOT Spanish.
Posted on: Nov 15, 2014
geek_goddess_jolie says:
Thank you for the very informative blog =) Took some pointers for my trip to South America. Again, thanks! =)
Posted on: Jan 25, 2012
bubu932 says:
glad you had so much fun :)
Posted on: Jan 10, 2012
Late night layover at a deserted, …
Late night layover at a deserted,…
Dinner at the airport
Dinner at the airport
Rio de Janeiro Hotels & Accommodations review
Clean, luxurious suite in the heart of Leblon
We booked a Deluxe Suite at the Promenade Palladium in Rio on the advice of TravBuddy member "BR-UNO", who is a local there. We are really glad we too… read entire review