The Italian Frontier to Venice

Venice Travel Blog

Incident at Tarvisio Station

Tarvisio is the first town after crossing the border into Italy. There was a bit of stop here for passport control and clearing customs. FS, the Italian national railway, took over control of the train from ÖBB and Austrian and Italian locomotives were exchanged.

I had to document the stop and border crossing, so leaned out the window to take a photo of the platform. I noted a fellow waving his arms wildly. "What's with that guy?" I wondered. Trying to catch a  train? Meet up with someone? Suddenly, there he was on our coach. He came over to my seat and start yelling in a torrent of Italian, gesticulating all the while.

Jôf di Montasio
I simply stared back blank faced, truely not understanding him. After a while, he threw up his hands and stormed off the train. I guess he did not like me takng a photo of the frontier station. (There weren't any signs that I could see prohibiting photography.  Hundreds of people must see the station every day. It's not a secret location.) In any case, we pulled out of Tarvisio and I still had my camera!

After having reached the second summit on the line at Tarvisio, Romulus now began a descent through Fella valley and the Julian Alps of Italy.  Still more spectacular scenery unfolded. Montasio peak, at 2755 m the second highest peak in the Julian Alps, came into view. The village of Dogna was snuggly tucked away in a river valley. The hillside cottages and villages looked very similar to their counterparts on the Austrian side, a testament to shared cultural heritage in a region where the border between Italy and Austria has shifted back and forth over the years.

Fella River valley
  Finally, the train made its was out of the mountains down to Udine and then to Venice.

At the mainland Mestre station, our coach and others were dropped off the train to be taken to Santa Lucia station. The remainder of the train continued on to Rome. The train ride over the causeway across the Lagoon to Venice's Santa Lucia station was a thrill. Here we were in Venice! (It was just like the scene at the opening of the film Summertime--one of the best travel moments caught in a feature film.)

The luggage now came out of the windows. We caught a vaporetto to our hotel,  passing under the Scalzi Bridge to let us know we had really arrived.  The visit to Venice was memorable.

Dogna, Italy
The view from the hotel looked like a scene Canaletto might have painted. Over the next two days in Venice we would see San Marco, the Campanile,  Piazza San Marco, Rialto Bridge, the Bridge of Sighs, the Doge's Palace, and the sinister Lion's Mouth, where anonymous denunciations were sent to the Council of Ten. An evening gondola ride along the quiet side canals was filled with ambiance.

Venice provided a rare instance of celebrity spotting. One afternoon, Hugh Heffner, with his entourage and current Playmate in tow, walked by me in the Piazza San Marco. Venice is certainly a crossroads!

ladyluck13and7 says:
You shouldve got a picture of Hugh! BTW
Posted on: Aug 01, 2010
ladyluck13and7 says:
He must have gotten angry a lot if he had to single-handed chew out every tourist taking a picture
Posted on: Aug 01, 2010
rotorhead85 says:
I'd like to do this next time I visit Budapest. I'll use caution with the camera!
Posted on: Aug 28, 2007