Vienna Travel Blog

Südbahnhof

Vienna was the last stop on a microbus tour through Luxembourg, Germany, and Austria. Now, the trip would turn south to Italy as we headed for Venice by rail. The train was scheduled for an early morning departure from Vienna's Südbahnhof. This was the Romulus, a Vienna-Rome daytime express with coaches for Venice. The 630 km journey would take all day.

I hadn't ridden on a European long-distance train before. My impressions of European long-distance train travel at the time came principally from depictions in cinema and in books like Stamboul Train. I was expecting the standard European coach: a corridor along one side with individual six-passenger compartments and facing seats. Our coach instead had airliner-style seats, but roomier, with one abreast and two abreast seating. A novelty to me was the windows that opened in order to admit baggage. (Windows don't open on American intercity trains.) In popped our suitcases, through the window.

Leaving Vienna, the train made its way south past Wiener Neustadt, then on to Gloggnitz, and began an ascent into the mountains. The day was clear with a bright blue sky. This would be a great day for travel, for photos, and for seeing new sights.

Romulus coach