A Bit Of Nostalgia In Yoker

Glasgow Travel Blog

My First Flat ( bottom left )

Alright not many tourists are going to find, or want to find their way out to Yoker. It is one of the more deprived parts of Glasgow , in the west of the city, and does in fact form the city boundary with neighbouring town of Clydebank. It sits on the north bank of the River Clyde, and one of the main road arteries through Glasgow, Dumbarton Road, runs through it.

It is the location for one of the local rail networks main train depots, and base for their main signalling centre. Scottish Power also maintain a workshop there, but apart from a few light industrial units there is little else in the area.

Chimney I ended up hanging onto :D
It seemed to miss out on the shipbuilding era, with the yards coming down as far as the neighbouring Scotstoun district, and then starting again in Clydebank.

There are a few pubs, takeaway shops and newsagents, but it doesn't even have a supermarket. A lot of community based social outreach programmes run in the area. Still it is improving, and there has been a lot of new housing built over the past few years. It does have it's own local amateur football team that still survives.

So why would I bother with this place ???

Well I went down today for two reasons. As one of the poorer areas of Glasgow it was also one of the cheapest places, certainly in the west of the city, to buy a house, and it was where I bought my first flat many years ago when I was 22 .

Yoker Ferry Road
Certainly holds a lot of happy memories for me, and looking at it today, and looking UP I was laughing to myself.

Not long after I had moved in there was a big storm and all the TV ariels on the roof were blown down. As a daft young boy, I offered to help a couple of the guys that stayed in the same close ( block) , to go up and fix them. It seemed a good idea at the time, but Tam was a roofer, and Eddie was a scaffolder and both used to heights, while I ended up sitting up on the roof of a four storey building hanging onto the chimney. Mind you the view was great :D

The guys became mates, and we would drink in the pub just up at the end of the street called the Station Bar. Not a classy joint by any means :O and the only place I have EVER seen the managers special, a barrel of strong fortified wine, sitting behind the bar, and being served by the ladelful :O.

Across to the Renfrew Slipway

However on occasions when we got bored there, we would head along Dumbarton Road a short distance to Ferry Road, and down and catch the ferry over to Renfrew, on the south bank of the Clyde, and go to the pub there.

This was the other reason I had come. Used to enjoy those days, and it always seemed cool to go for a pint by boat, but now the ferry is to be done away with. I wanted to make sure I had one last trip on it, for old times sake, and I did have reason to be going over to that part of town anyway. So much nicer than just driving all the way round.

Renfrew is close to the large Braehead Shopping Centre, but I walked along the path at the side of the Clyde and cut through a park to get to where I needed to be. Walked back to the ferry and crossed the river and actually felt quite sad as I got off the boat.

Africancrab says:
Ferry Inn
Ferry Inn
Columba Club
Columba Club
HMS Dragon being fitted out in Sco…
HMS Dragon being fitted out in Sc…
Park
Clydeview Park
Clydeview Park
Glasgow General Tips & Advice review
Losing Another Bit Of Our Heritage
At one point there used to be 5 or 6 ferries that crossed the upper stretches of the River Clyde, in Glasgow. Today only one remains and now though ev… read entire review
Glasgow