Still alive...

Bangkok Travel Blog

Dear family, friends and yet to be friends,

I have pleasant news. I'm still alive. Even better, so is Kat. That is good news ey?

After the wedding on the 31st of December (which seems ages ago), things went a little crazy!
In our normal style, we found out only days before we left that we still needed to pack our rooms, our bags, our life. We still needed immunization shots, insurance, hotels, plans etc etc... Like we say, we do our best work under pressure, which was undoubtedly true since we've been able to do everything in only 2 days!!

First stop: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Definitely fun, but it wasn't one of our real destinations, merely in transit. We met some good good people, drank some good good drinks and spent some great great hours in the Reggae bar.

Second stop: BANGKOK  baby! YEAH! I don't know how I got here, when I got here and what I'm doing here, but I'm having the best of times!! This is one crazy city!
Highlights (in no particular order):
- Starting our real honeymoon
- Eating locust (!) on the Thanon Khao San
- Funny fish munching on our toes at the fish spa
- Being able to buy and drink a beer on the street, the 7/11, in the internetcafe, in the Shisha bar etc etc (no more hassles with 'licenced premises')
- Going to the mother of all markets, the Chatuchak market. 15000 (!) stalls, 200000 visitors a day!! No cheap tourist knockoffs, real stuff that real Thai people buy. Good price for you my friend!
- Finding a 24h Subway
- Meeting an insane amount of good people
- Staying in very nice rooms with very nice beds for half the price of a 14 bed dorm in Australia.
- Surviving two TukTuk rides.
- Two for one buckets (yes mum, BUCKETS) of booze. One is about $1. Thats TWO for $1. Life is good.
- Smoking good shisha on the rooftop bar GaZebo

I'm pretty sure there are more highlights, but my hungover head (yep... hangover kickes in at 4pm) doesn't want to function anymore.

We're looking for other things to do, since Bangkok is great, but just another big city. We want to go to a LOT of other places, but we're not quite sure in which order to do things though. Does anyone have any tips hints and tricks? How does bartering work here? Do they ask for double of what they actually want? Triple? I can't seem to work it out.

Here's one for any aspiring TukTuk passenger: Agree on price, time, and NO stops before you get into this devilmachine. These cheeky drivers love taking you for a ride to alllll the expensive shops in town, since they get a lovely commision out of it.

Aight. I'm bailing. This hangover is killing me, and 80baht beers on the Khao San sounds too bloody good.

Love,
Maarten

mikevirgo0824 says:
Since you are on your honeymoon, why not try a romantic dinner cruise for two on the Chao Praya river. You can also do quick day trips to Hua HIn (beaches) and go to the Floating market in Damnernsaduak (or something that sounds like that) i could never get that right.
Posted on: Jan 14, 2010
Ape says:
mrstruijk@?
Posted on: Jan 11, 2010
Ape says:
Ajajajaaaaj been waiting for this! Hoop dat jullie een super vette tijd hebben, zie jullie van het voorjaar!! Zal je tips over Asia doorsturen.. Hoezo zit IEDEREEN opeens in Azie?? Boks ouwe!
Posted on: Jan 11, 2010