Steamboat to...

IJmuiden Travel Blog

Friday and Saturday

To reach Scotland is best done by boat. DFDS seaways operates a service between IJmuiden and Newcastle, the ferry that gives the best starting point in the UK for Scotland (and they rent our favourit bungalows too).
We have no delay in entering the boat -this time there are only 50 cars and 5 buses for the crossing that can profit from this situation- and book the 19:00h dinner session time-slot. ( there are so little people aboard, everybody can have an early meal:)
We check out the shops (for buying stuff on the way back) and have a look around the boat before going to the restaurant. I have been there in September and nothing has changed.
At our table we are served by Ana Mae, a lovely waitress (every time we crossed the North-sea we have had the kindest waiters/waitresses on every ferry we have taken yet) we might call her a fairy.

Floating hotel

She only has to bring our drinks and take away the plates, but she does this with a smile from ear to ear; it makes our food taste better! (I must say I regret that I didn't bring my camera)

The Scandinavian style buffet is great, with lots of dishes to taste from, meat and fish. A feast for grownups is the childrens buffet with spaghetti Bolognese, fries, meatballs, chicken fingers and other tasty goodies, but I have to stay with food for grown-ups and do so - moderately!!
I want to have an ice cream but the machine is out of service, but the other sweets taste very nice!

This voyage we have a cabin for 2 persons: one low bed, one high bed and a couch to sit on, and for the first time ever I sleep in the lower bed.
That is for the first 3 hours, I wake up and can't sleep any more. The sea has this long wave, causing the boat to move up and down, causing me to be a bit sea-sick, so I had to skip breakfast.

There is a first time for everything:)

My friend has his breakfast and Ana Mae remembers us being together, she asks about me.
Seeing hundreds of new people every day, but remembering one you are missing: a fairy indeed.
To disembark is a feast (this time:): docking and getting of the ship is done in less than 20 minutes.
Customs takes another ten minutes, and then we are off.

JP-NED says:
Hoi Huub, gefeliciteerd met je featured blog!
montecarlostar says:
Congrats on your feature Huib!
Dr_Seuss says:
Great to see you on the front page Huib :-)

Congrats mate
Waiting to embark
Waiting to embark
Waiting in IJmuiden (pan view)
Waiting in IJmuiden (pan view)
with car park