Columbus, Ohio

Columbus Travel Blog

Columbus Ohio

The trip to Columbus could be defined as spur of the moment and only a day long.  There were five places in Columbus, Ohio that I wanted to visit and only about 14 hours to see all of them.

My first stop was at the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum as I am an avid motorcycle fan I had always wanted to stop by and see what they had to offer.  I was not disappointed in the least, the bikes, history and information kept me wanting more throughout the museum.  The knowledge and joy the staff provided was a true delight.  I listened to a couple of the older care takers speaking of their motorcycle adventures while sipping a small glass bottle of Coke.  I don’t know how much of it was true but it was delightful none the less.  When I viewed the bikes they had roughly 200 motorcycles on display dating back to the early 1900’s.

I spent way too long looking at motorcycles and felt a little panic to get over to my next stop The Columbus Center for Paper & Book Arts.  I realize to most, this will not be a highlight on their travel itinerary however, I have always had a soft spot for fancy paper and office supplies.  One of my finest additions to my dwindling collection is a European laser cut Ivory stock paper.  Therefore when I read about the large selection of European papers and faux wax and seals I felt compelled to visit.  I was not disappointed et again!  It would appear that I am not the only person who has a passion for fine paper, book art, artist’s tools, cards, collage material and more.

There is a small museum with a fine collection dating back to the early 1900’s with a huge variety and stock of various art supplies including papers.  Then there was the store which included a House of Cards, Huge selection of Collage materials, a section on just Faux Wax and seals (I never knew that kind of variety existed), and an enormous paper collection from all of the World and the reason for my visit a section devoted to European Paper.  If you ever have the chance to stop by, I would.

My last stop was a toss-up between three places I really wanted to go, the Kathryn Gallery, Columbus Zoo & Aquarium and Wexner Center for the Arts.  All three of these locations came highly recommended yet I could choice only one.  I elected to go to the Columbus Zoo & Aquarium.  I took a taxi ride to the zoo and my driver Gerald had been in Ohio his entire life.  He spent several minutes contemplating my need to travel and what must be missing in my life since I am unable to settle to anything or anywhere.  It was amusing; Gerald has spent his entire life in Columbus and has only left two times.  Both trips were inside the state of Ohio, his theory is if he stays inside Ohio he will not realize exactly how small he is when it comes to the world.  I was treated to a ride full of history, gossip, and stories of the buildings and houses as we passed.  It was one of the most informative tours that I have ever taken.

When I arrived at the zoo I had less than two hours to see everything and head back to the airport.  The zoo itself was huge and a mere $10.00 to get into, you could choose from a variety of locations including African Forest, Asia Quest, Australia, Islands of Southeast Asia, North America, Pachyderms, Reptiles, Shores, and Animal Enrichment.  I chose to see Fluffy first, Fluffy is the World’s largest snake in captivity.  The exhibits are well laid out and made it easy to locate and photograph the animals.  I wasn’t able to make it through the Aquarium; I will put it on my list for the next time I head to or thru Ohio.

PhinsAndGills says:
I'm glad you liked our capital city! It really is a great place to find things to do.
Posted on: Aug 01, 2007