The real Backpacker's life in KL

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

Chinese New Year Celibrations!

With a smile and my pink emergency passport, I got into Malaysia. With a little bit of help of our Lonely Planet travelguide book, we managed to book a cheap hostel from a phone booth in the airport. To be honest, we haven't been true backpackers in the USA, where we stayed in motels. In Fiji, we stayed in the best resort of the South Pacific and we were catered to our every need. We geared down a notch in luxury when we travelled from campsite to campsite in New Zealand. In Malaysia, however, we dive head first in what it is to be a backpacker living on a budget. We have to, since we've blown two-thirds of it in our first three countries. ;) Our hostel in KL wouldn't even pass as a jail in Holland (which I have to admit, are quite luxurous). Our room doesn't have any windows and has a moldy smell. However, the people talk English very well and are usually very friendly! You wouldn't believe our modern this city is! There is a monorail that connects most of the city. 10 story shopping malls packed with the most luxuruous stores and it is bustling with activity! If you call New York the city that never sleeps, then KL must be the city that is on speed 24/7!