Travel upDEET New Zealand - South Island

Milford Sound Travel Blog

When we were still in Fiji kicking it back, a couple from California warned us that we shouldn't let, so called 'sandflies' ruin our NZ experience. We learned the meaning of this warning when we sea-kayaked passed desserted bounty island beaches in Abel Tasman National Park. When Bram Stoker wrote "Dracula: a Mystery Story" back in 1897, he had the form vampires come in quite wrong. They don't have a humanoid form and fangs. No sir! They look like ordinary fruit flies. But don't be mistaken. This little flies introduces itself with a bite that is far too painful for it's small size. Their target of choice for some reason is feet. When you rub those in with DEET (bug repellant), they go after your face. When you rub DEET on your face, they will keep searching for DEET free areas around your watch, corners of your eyes or in between your fingers.

That's why I decided to sacrifice my legs (that aren't as beautiful anyway) to these blood-thirsty little critters in favour of my face and arms. Who needs legs anyway?
The further we went south, the bigger and feircer they got. At one point we were camping in the Haast pass and we thought it was raining. We were quite surprised that it were actually sandflies 'attacking' our tent! Anyway, I am far too stubborn to let some small insect ruin my trip and what a trip it was! The south island is amazing! We sea-kayaked smoothly passed seal colonies whilst small pinguins were circling our kayak. Truly a paradise for wildlife! And the sea is as blue as you would ever find it!

On the way to Milford Sound we also passed by Franz Joseph Glacier. We spend the night at a camping we shared with retired Dutch travellers. The glacier itself was nothing more then a dirty, muddy ice cube.

That's it for now! I will keep you updated! You can find pictures on my hyves or facebook!

Milford Sound