High Tea in Cameron Highlands

Tanah Rata Travel Blog

To escape the mayham of KL (Kuala Lumpur) we escaped to the tranquil and cool Cameron Highlands. Tanah Rata was once a hill station during the Brittish colonial age and much of that character still remains. The people here are very relaxed. The touts that surround you as soon as you leave the bus actually have some pretty good deals.
We came here to take some postcard perfect pictures of the tea plantations that cover the hills surrounding Tanah Rata like a green striped blanket. We booked a tour with a guy that we on first glance thought was a hobo. However, after exchanging some jokes about Amsterdam (ahhh very special cake shhhh....) we established that his company offered the best tour to see the surroundings. This was affirmed by the fact that they would not in any case give us a special price.
Early next morning we were picked up by a 4WD jeep fitted with bullhorns on the front (which made me think of Texas again) and our tour began. Our first objective was to find and see the famous Rafflesia flower, which is the biggest flower in the world. Our guide book didn't mention a word about spotting this flower in this area. This made us realize that the Lonely Planet was at least 8 years old, because that's when they discovered it in this area. After seeing this amazing plant (at least 4 feet in width) we set out to visit one of the most famous tea plantations of Malaysia - BOH tea. This acronym stands for Best Of Highlands and was founded by a scotsman. Here we had ample opportunity to make our postcard pictures (of which I will soon post some examples) and learn something in the process. BOH even produces tea for Lipton.

On the way back to Tanah Rata we made a little stop at a butterfly farm. The actual butterflies weren't so special, but the reptiles, spiders and huge insects they had there were quite a sight to behold. I even had a huge black scorpion taking a little stroll on my arm (don't worry, I have pictures to prove it).

Next morning, we took the bus to Penang, an island out of the West coast of Malaysia.
Tanah Rata Hotels & Accommodations review
At the edge of town with a nice garden to relax in. Staff is always ready to help and their knowledge of the area is excellent! The rooms don't have a… read entire review
Tanah Rata