New Year In KL

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

The eve of New Year's day has been the happiest time of the year for me. Normally, it was received with aural and visual blast from the firecrackers fired everywhere (there's no regulation on firecrackers in the Philippines), overflowing food (especially carbo rich food) and alcohol (be it beer or cheap wine or vodka). It was the day to embrace my love ones, to kiss my family and friends. Sadly, it's not the same this year. I am partly to be blamed for deciding to stay here in Singapore instead of going home. I just came back from the Philippines and I didn't see why I should go home. It was proven wrong after experiencing a very silent, almost ordinary New Year in Singapore. My only saviour that night was the two cans of Red Horse I bought from 7eleven.

Instead of sulking for this new year celebration, my friends who were also stranded here planned weeks before that we would be spending our new year's day long weekend in Kuala Lumpur and stay with a friend there who is also stranded there.
Suria Mall in Petronas
Actually, his place is not in KL downtown but a 30 minute taxi ride away to Cyberjaya. KL and Cyberjaya are two different worlds, KL is chaotic, busting with life and noise and with few bad elements like dishonest cab drivers in Puduraya. Cyberjaya on the otherhand, is quite like any suburb city in the US. Buildings are far from each other, and car is a necessity.

We received the new year in Singapore with a simple dinner in a Filipino resto, Bonifacio (named after the great Filipino proletariat). Then I stayed with my friends' place where we would be coming from there to the bus station the following morning for our more or less 6 hours bus ride to KL. The bus left Golden Mile in Beach Rd at 7 AM and with one stop, we reached KL at around 1 PM.
Viet lunch in KL
Wanting to know where the bus station for the Grassland Bus that would bring us back to SG, we were the last to alight the bus and with the driver's instruction that we should wait in Puduraya for our return bus. This turned out to be false and shame on the driver for not pointing us the right place. It should be in front of Time Square building. We learned this the hard way on our last day.

With no specific itinerary, we thought of just following where the KL Tower was. We walked for several minutes and the tower seemed to get closer and closer. We just stopped walking when all of us were sweaty and hungry and everyone was just cranky. There, we never got to KL Tower but we managed to take few photos of it. For me, it was nothing special, I have seen it several times yet I haven't been to the observation deck of this tower.
Me and the mighty Petronas
I am not really keen to do it. Am I missing much?

So after the very long walk of following the mirage of the tower, we then decided to go to Petronas for our lunch. We took a cad with an Indian driver who is married to a Filipina and was talking the whole time about his food stall that serves PInoy food in Kotaraya. We arrived in Petronas thirsty and hungry, we started looking for a place to eat. With three heads deciding were to eat, it took us about 30 minutes to finally settling to a Viet lunch. There was nothing special to the food yet it was pricey for Malaysian standard. Though I would say, everything tastes good when one is hungry. After eating, we explored the mall, with nothing that interested us, we decided to enjoy the beauty of Petronas from afar. It was a gloomy day so the building was not really reflecting much of a light.
Petronas Twin Tower, still my favorite building
It made the towers duller than usual. Well, it was rainy season then, we have really no choice.

Petronas Twin Towers still have a huge awe factor. Though sad to say, the wonder of Petronas has been made insignificant with the opening of Burj Khalifa of Dubai. I would still prefer Petronas over Taipei 101 but the one in Dubai shadows them all. Despite this, I still love Petronas and still my favorite building. Petronas is still the tallest twin tower and I think the bridge connector is still the highest in the world. This twin towers are the most remarkable and striking feature of KL cityscape. After spending few minutes there, and seeing some familiar faces from our yesteryears (which was a pleasant surprise), we then decided to go to our last stop, Merdeka Square. Taking a cab from there, it took about 10 minutes to reach Merdeka (Independence) Square.
Chaotic Merdeka Square

I was a bit disappointed that the place is cluttered with people and stalls from the celebration of New Years Countdown the previous night. It would be impossible to enjoy the beautiful buildings and the vast square with all the people, the place was nothing but busy. Giving up on our chance of getting good photos there, we then contacted our friend and after few discussion, we decided to go to Cyberjaya by cab. I would like to try the bus or train but with all the bags and tired bodies, we decided for the most convenient way to go there. The cab asked for 50 RM. We were okay with that price. The cab driver spoke little English. Since he was not really familiar with Cyberjaya, he was in panic when we reached the exit to Putrajaya.
I was awaken with his voice asking for directionin Malay. I was just as hopeless as him. Somehow, with the call from our friend, we were able to reach our destination, my friend's place - in The Domain, a psychedelic building, the color, the architecture. This building especially the interior is almost as surreal as the paintings of Dali.
planisphere says:
Hey thanks! I would definitely coming back to KL.. :)
and I will take note of the Skybar or Luna for my next trip.
Actually, Our first choice was Penang Village but the queue was quite long and we were too hungry already... maybe next time.. :)
Posted on: Jan 09, 2010
dkiat says:
Well, you didn't missed much not visiting the KL Tower. Folks go there to view the city skyline. There is nothing much to see in KL Tower.

Personally, if you want to see the cityview would opt for a visit to Luna Bar or Skybar (prepare to pay for the view though!)

If you're visiting KLCC again, try heading for Penang Village (opposite Kinokunya). The food is not too bad (especially their Lobak). Most f&b in KLCC is overpriced btw!
Posted on: Jan 09, 2010
Me and the mighty Petronas
Petronas Twin Tower, still my favo…
Petronas Twin Tower, still my fav…
KL Tower