Typically transiting through Guayaquil

Guayaquil Travel Blog

I didn't spend a whole lot of time in Guayaquil, so I think this blog is probably best used by those planning on using the city in a similar manner as did I; land there and promptly get the hell out to other parts of Ecuador. I arrived late, and passed through immigration far far later. I believe it was after 1 am by the time I recovered my luggage and started looking for ground transport. I swallowed the warnings I'd been given about Guayaquil taxis, and walked over to the taxi stand. That late, I figured I'd just take a taxi and stay alert rather than attempt to find any sort of alternative. My driver turned out to be a great guy who lived near my hostal, and offered to show the city if I wanted to head out later (like 3 am?!). I took his card and told him I'd let him know if I decided to party later. The ride cost me $6 with tip.
The hostal was called dreamkapture. I took a $10 dorm bed, including breakfast, without establishing if negotiation was possible, and promptly passed out.
In the morning I ate and chatted with a few of the other travelers, learning that pretty much everyone else there was passing through to somewhere else as well. Poor Guayaquil seems to be pretty much neglected by the packpack set.
Before heading out to Montanita, I decided to head downtown and buy a cell phone. The son of the hostal owner told me I could get a cheap one of I went to a neighborhood called Bahia, so I decided to head out there. I stuffed my money and debit card into my sock, and took a local bus toward Bahia for the grand total of $.10 (welcome to south america!)
Bahia turned out to be a massive, glorified flea market with little tiendas selling everything you could think of. I found one selling phones, and bought one for $30 bucks including a card with a number (my number is great but somewhat embarrassing: 108 6969!)
Afterwards I walked the waterfront esplanade called the Malecon, grabbed a taxi back to the hostal, packed and grabbed another to the bus station, called the Terminal. I think that one cost $3.
The Terminal is a large mall, with destination specific booths selling tickets in the back on the first floor. To get to Montanita you buy a $5.50 ticket from CLP. The bus left a couple of hours later, so I decided to eat something and wander the station. I noticed straight off that being a 6' 2" light eyed gringo carried a bit of a novelty factor, and played the eye hockey game with a few of the local girls as I walked around. A local guy joined my table, and I muddled through a lunch conversation with him in my pigeon Spanish. Then it was time to catch the bus, and I was off to Montanita!
Guayaquil