Welcome to the city of Gold:The Orchestra Ensemble Kanazawa

Kanazawa Travel Blog

This time I would like to tell you about the orchestra in Kanazawa and its music.
The Orchestra Ensemble Kanazawa was established in 1988. This orchestra consists of about 40 members and is not big as regular orchestras. It is very unique and seems to be always pursuing what it should be, because of this size. So it is sometimes conservative and the other times quite progressive. The repertoire is wide, from baroque music to contemporary music. They perform not only in Kanazawa, but all over Japan.

My first time for this orchestra was a concert at Suntory Hall in Tokyo. I'm not sure but it might have been around 1989. Back then I was a university student in Tokyo, and a member of the students' orchestra club. I went to the concert with my friend who also played the violin. At that concert they performed some contemporary music by Japanese composers using percussion effectively. The sound of the strings was quite pure. It was rare for me to listen to modern music directly. And the women wore dresses of Kaga-yuzen which is traditional dyeing in Ishikawa. It was a very new experience for me.

At that time we were practicing some pieces such as Requiem by Mozart. We were going to have a a concert of the students' orchestra. I was involved in it and only feeling this piece was very beautiful without thinking of the meaning of it.

Two years ago I lost my precious person suddenly. Although it was a very painful occurrence, music often consoled me. I listened to Ken Hirai, EXILE, Backstreet Boys, ABBA, and so on. The power of music is great.

To be continued...