Welcome to the city of Gold: Kanazawa castle

Kanazawa Travel Blog

Kanazawa castle
Let's begin with answering the question from last time. Why are the roads so narrow and curved in the central area of Kanazawa? It is because they were designed to protect Kanazawa Castle from enemies! It was a strategy to build the town around the castle. In a case of battles, it would be difficult for soldiers to assault the castle quickly because of the narrow and winding roads. Even though they see the castle is close, they couldn't reach there soon. It would take much more time than expected. Still now it can be effective to make someone stray in the town.

Anyway, Ishikawa gate of Kanazawa Castle is very beautiful and the figure is a symbol of this historical city. Once there was a campus of Kanazawa University in the castle, but it became a large park since the university had moved to the outskirts.
Ishikawa gate of the castle

My husband said that he had climbed up the stone wall of the castle when he was a freshman of Kanazawa Univ. He and his friend were deeply drunk at a "Hanami" party, when enjoying the beautiful view of cherry blossoms around the castle (near the campus at that time). Without thinking, they started climbing the wall around the castle. Climbing up and up...., they finally got almost to the top of the stone wall. Then they came to their senses and became petrified after looking down on the ground. It is a story of almost thirty years ago.

Four years ago, my son and I joined a summer seminar learning about the stone walls of the castle with his friend. We were walking around the castle and Kenrokuen, the park next to the castle, and had lectures about stones. It was a very hot day, but a teacher eagerly taught us about various things, such as how to convey stones from mountains to the castle, a secret stone in Kenrokuen, and so on. Next time I'll introduce this famous park, Kenrokuen.
rotorhead85 says:
Nice to see the personal touch to such a nice place!
kyoko2010 says:
Thank you for your comment!!

reikunboy says:
nice story still entertaining after all those years
Posted on: Jan 08, 2010
Do you know a city which produces 99% of the gold foil in Japan? Have you imagined where the consumption of ice cream is the highest in Japan?Or do you know where are the revolving sushi machine originated from?
It is Kanazawa city, Ishikawa pref.

Kanazawa is a historical, traditional and creative city abundant in nature and culture. We may say that people in Kanazawa conserve traditional culture well and love tasty foods. Actually there are so many delicious foods here. And the gold foil craft is one of numerous traditional handicrafts in Kanazawa, and I think the level of Kanazawa and Ishikawa concerning handicrafts is very high and deserves a "Gold" medal.

I have lived in Kanazawa for almost 15 years. I would like to introduce this attractive city. If you wonder where to visit after Tokyo and Kyoto, why not come here?

By the way, living here, I have one thing to avoid doing. It is to drive on narrow roads instead of jammed main streets. There are so many narrow roads in the center of the city, which are one-way and not straight, that I was often lost before. After turning onto a path by car, I often found myself driving around the same place. It may be good for walking around, if I have enough time. Why are they so narrow and curved? It has a historical meaning. Next time I'll tell you the answer.

reikunboy says:
lots of interesting facts taht I never knew
Kanazawa