Ready, Steady, GO!

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

We arrived in KL fresh of an Air Asia X flight from Perth (note on Air Asia: it's true you get what you pay for but it's not nearly as bad as Ryanair. You do have to pay for EVERYTHING though so either take some snacks or some cash. We are buying pillows to take on our next long haul flight. The legroom is adequate but not really what you'd call comfortable so try to book extra legroom seats!) with no accommodation and no plans.

Welcome to the Maarten-Kat honeymoon!

We do have some vague ideas about where we want to go, and to be honest Malaysia wasn't on that list, it's more of the toe-in-the-water jumping off point to better things. Still, we are here in KL for 3 days until our flight to the Big ole smoke of Bangkok so we are (at least trying to) seeing some sights and testing some of the cheaper drinking and eating options.

So far we've stayed one night in a semi-nice hotel in Chinatown called Hotel Malaya, not bad with a Queen bed and en suite including bath for about AUD$50 breakfast was included but of course we weren't awake for 10.30am! Chinatown is a bustling market area concentrated on Jalan Petaling  with side streets and confusing roads a-plenty. yes, we have been rather lost several times!

Internet is cheap, food is cheap, rooms are cheap but (unsurprisingly considering Malaysia's strong Islamism) alcohol is not! While that sucks, it's helped us not be drunk the entire time :P

Today we escaped the heat finding a new, cheaper place to stay and organizing our affairs a little, I did all the important things like sewed some flags on my backpack, updated my facebook and located a sight or two for us to venture to! We will head to Merdeka Sq in the colonial district (on foot) and see what there is to see!

Tomorrow we are off to the Batu Caves outside KL, there is a Buddhist?Hindu? festival there in which devotees practice feats of endurance and strength! I'm worried it'll be a little gruesome, especially for someone like myself who hates needles and seeing people hurt! But it's all part of the experience!

Salamat Pagi!
2win says:
if you get a chance go to the skybar in KL, its an awesome view and great bar!
Posted on: Jan 08, 2010