Petra by Night

Petra Travel Blog

Night at Petra. I think there were 700+ candles lit up in paper bags starting from Petra Entrance till The Treasury

We reached Petra at about 6pm and it was already like night. It was very chilly with temperature of maybe 15C. We checked into Cleopetra Hotel which is recommended by Lonely Planet, and I do recommend it as well. When we reached, the staffs were preparing a dinner for a group of guest and they offered us as well. We were told that dinner is not normally prepared as it is based on number of request (small numbers can't justify the portion and effort). It was called "mensaf", which is a rice dish with pine nuts, poached chicken & yogurt soup. And it was pretty delicious. Cost - JOD 6 per pax.

Since we arrived on Thursday, we can get the opportunity to join the Petra by Night tour. It's only JOD 12 and there's absolute nothing else to do. It was quite a nice experience walking through the siq and sitting in front of the treasury, with paper candles lit all around. You're advised not to take pictures and yes, don't bother as you'll not get anything on your camera except for black images. We were also told not to use flash/tourch lights & maintain silence in order to fully experience the "by night" tour experience. After reaching the treasury, we were served with tea and entertained with traditional music accompanied by flute and oud. Highly recommended to future visitors to Petra to experience Petra by Night if you have the chance as it does not take place every day - only on Mon, Wed  Thur.

After that, we head to a bar for some drinks with a new found friend. Pretty happy with today's achievement considering the short daylight time and very satisfied with our last minute decision to cancel Aqaba.

Night at Petra. I think there were…
Night at Petra. I think there wer…
photo by: vances