Train to Lhasa

Golmud Travel Blog

My hard sleeper bed
I woke up at 9 just before the Xi;an stop which dropped off most of the passengers from my train. Spent the entire morning reading, writing and snacking on my ever reliable Nissin Cup Noodled which I had brought from home. At the Lanzhou stop, i was too bored not having talked to anyone for the day, so I thought of handing out my Mandarin Phrasebook to one of my cabin mates, asking "What is the next stop?", and suddenly got a bit embarrassed when he read it out loud, in English. Lol. Then in perfectly straight English, he said. "Xining, thats where the 2 of us are going down". Haha Just when I finally found a person to talk to, he was 3 hours away from getting off the train. The 2 others are getting off at Golmud tomorrow at 6am, he said in addition. We chatted away since then, and he was telling me the last time he was home was 10 years ago. He was about 30ish, quite attractive at that, and was going home to see his parents, just his parents, he emphasized. ;) I never thought of the Chinese being that independent, thought they were all too family oriented. Oh well, he was probably another exemption to the rule like i was, travelling alone to Tibet at this time of year. Soon after, we arrived at Xining, and 2 others came on board my cabin.
I cant wait for tomorrow. After Golmud, we'll be crossing the Tibetan Plateau, one of the best landscapes in the world!

lauro says:
hahahahahah! ang next part?! lol
Posted on: Jan 06, 2010