Boring Shanghai

Shanghai Travel Blog

I arrived late last night vis Cebu Pacific Airlines and took a cab to Blue Mountain Hostel in Shanghai. I would have wanted to take the Maglev train but since the last service leaves at 10:30 pm I didn't have much of a choice. Ive contracted a cold yesterday and had now worsened to a bad case of flu. The temperature outside was 26 deg lower than back home and at 1degree, i wouldnt be surprised if i develop pneumonia in the next few days.
Blue Mountain Hostel was conveniently located right next to the Luban Road Metro. The hostel had 24 hour showers, thank god, a nice cozy bar and pretty friendly staff. I woke up at 10 am, and took off for Nanjing Lu, the famous pedestrian shopping street of Shanghai. I was here a year ago, and not mush really has changed.
The street was bustling with Chinese, wanting to get a piece of anything from shops which were all on sale, as it was the last weekend before Christmas. Obviously being Buddhists, the Chinese dont celebrate Christmas of the New Year (western) as the rest of the world but still take the season as an opportunity to give out all this incredible sale.
I aimlessly wandered for the next few hours stopping at the end of the street, just before People's Park, where there was a giant Christmas Tree assembled from green Heiniken bottles. I was going to take the T164, 19:52 train to Lhasa tonight, and being too excited, even brought a bit of groceries from home just so i wouldnt have to eat train food every meal time. I was assigned to carriage 1, cabin 7, and wahooo lower berth this time! There were 5 of us in total and none of them (i think) even speak English. Oh its gonna be a boring train ride tomorrow.
Shanghai