In which I see no whales

Reykjavik Travel Blog

We decided that today was a good day to go whale watching.  It was beautiful, clear, and really, really, really cold.  On balance, the last part of that sentence might have cast doubt on the wisdom of spending the day in a boat in the middle of the Atlantic.  Especially as my horrible sea sickness was going to make staying below decks impossible.

We had a slow start to the morning, as the Northern Lights had been followed up with a few drinks and I had birthday presents to open.  We hit the local supermarket for supplies and headed off to buy our tickets, and I struggled into my borrowed ski trousers.  Thank goodness I did.

The bay

I skidded around the small museum at the whale watching place, until the bus arrived to take us to the other bay.  The bus was a double decker that reminded me of the ones we used to get on for school trips, not least because there was ice on the inside of the bus.  It was cold.

The boat was in a neighbouring bay, which of course I have forgotten the name of.  I was a little disorientated anyway; you couldn’t see out of the bus because of the ice.  We boarded the whale watching vessel and found our selves a place to stand, and watched the boat nose out through the thin ice that coated the harbour.

It was still a stunningly beautiful day, although I could only see about a two inch window of it having tied my scarf over my face, pulled my hood up, and generally tried to hide as much skin as possible from the onslaught of the breeze.

The bus with the ice inside
 It really was only a breeze, too; the bay was flat as a mill pond.  But tensing against the cold made me tense in general, and I started to feel seasick because I wasn’t relaxing with the boat.  As it picked up speed it pitched about a tiny bit, and that was enough to make me very much grumpier than I wanted to be.

The whales were resolutely refusing to come out; not so much as a harbour porpoise.  There were some gannets diving, and that was quite interesting, but I was left imagining a whole pod of whales lying out to see with hangovers telling each other they couldn’t be bothered, after all the fireworks of the last two nights.  Despite that, and the nausea, I really enjoyed the trip.  The company will actually let you go back out free if you don’t see any whales, which is lovely, and say that they will honour the ticket for two years, which is even better.

The whale watching ship
 By this point Iain and I were sure we wanted to go back anyway.

We got back in the icy bus and went home to get changed for dinner.  It was my actual birthday, so we wanted to go somewhere nice.  We chose Geysir, in the same building as the tourist information place, and it was fantastic.  Really laid back decoration, nice staff, and the food was amazing.  I had lamb again, I’m afraid; I was getting a little addicted.  And the blueberry sauce was wonderful.  After a few drinks in the English pub, we headed back to the hotel so that we could get up in time to go on the golden circle tour the next day.

sarahelaine says:
Thank you!
Posted on: Jan 12, 2010
Koralifix says:
Congrats on this featured blog! Very nicely done!
Posted on: Jan 12, 2010
Reykjavik Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Geysir Restaurant
Geysir is a relaxed restaurant bistro in the centre of Reykjavik, not far from the harbour. It is in the same building as the tourist office, but open… read entire review
Reykjavik