The Blue Lagoon

Keflavik Travel Blog

Blue lagoon

On the final day of our trip we decided to go to the Blue Lagoon.  The Blue Lagoon is a fantastic Spa near the airport.  It isn’t natural; apparently, it came into being when silicate mud in the run off from a geothermal power plant clogged pores in the lava field, and the run off water started to build up into pools, mixing with rain water.  The workers in the plant then started taking swims in the pools, as you would if you had warm pools of clean, warm, if muddy, water right outside work.  And the story goes that all their skin conditions miraculously cleared up.  So someone came along and tested the water and found that the mix of volcanic mud, salty ground water and rain was not only safe, but had all sorts of unique algae and things that made it perfect for spa water.  Even better, it was a cool blue colour!

We set off before dawn again, and were delighted to find that the bus company would look after our rucksacks for us.

area near blue lagoon; power plant
 After the lagoon opened, we got changed in the changing rooms separately.  There are lots of horror stories about having to shower naked in front of people, but as long as you can do the holding a towel in your teeth and hopping on one leg whilst you get changed thing that only British people are insanely prudish enough to learn then there are actually a couple of individual cubicles where you can shower.  Or decide you have better things to worry about.  It’s up to you.

The pool itself was fantastic.  There is something just magical about swimming in a hot pool surrounded by snow.  The frosty lava fields glittered in the sunrise and there was an artificial geyser pumping really hot water into the air when we first got there.  There are also free boxes of mud mask round the sides of the lagoon, and I had a lot of fun trying to persuade Iain that all the other boys were coated in mud mask too.

He wasn’t ever convinced.  Eventually, we decided we had to get dressed and have some lunch in the little cafeteria, which was actually one of the cheapest meals we had.  It was a lovely hot dog, and I finally tried the legendary Skyr that everybody in Iceland is so proud of.  It’s nice, sort of mid way between yoghurt and fromage frais but lower fat.  We had another hour in the pool and then headed for the airport at three ish.

The plane was delayed, but Reykjavik airport is a pleasant enough airport so it wasn’t too bad.  Unfortunately, more delays at the other end meant that Iain missed his train home and had to come back with me.  So the only bad part of the entire trip was Heathrow.  Again.  Sigh!

sarahelaine says:
Pretty much all day! I think we got there at about ten and left at about three, but I'm not sure. You would definately want at least two hours. It was fantastic.
Posted on: Sep 16, 2010
alyssa_ob says:
How long did you actually spend at the Blue Lagoon? I'm trying to plan my trip there and wondered how long to plan for.
Posted on: Sep 15, 2010
TravellingAuntie says:
another must for me - someday
Posted on: Feb 21, 2010
cafe at Blue Lagoon
cafe at Blue Lagoon
Keflavik Sights & Attractions review
The Blue Lagoon
The Blue Lagoon is a man made thermal spa near Keflavik airport. It is famous for the healing properties of its water, which is pumped out of the gro… read entire review
Keflavik