In one far end of Denmark

Soenderborg Travel Blog

View from my hotel room

I was attending a seminar at the far end of Denmark in South of Jutland in the city of Sonderborg. Sonderborg is a quite small city with approximately 27.000 inhabitants and it is situated on both side of Als Sund. It is the largest city in the region called Sonderjylland and the city has grown up around a castle that was built just before the year 1200.

Today two bridges lead you to the city from Jutland to Als where Sonderborg is situated and it is King Christian the X's Bridge from 1930 which is situated in the middle of town and the high bridge from 1981; Alssundbroen.

The city contain of a mix of new and old buildings. Sonderborg was seriously damaged by a Prussian artillery bombardment during the siege of the Dybboel-fortress in 1864. Large parts of the city centre and the harbour area burnt down to the ground then.

From the middle around 1850 and until 1930 the two parts of the city was only connected by a pontoon bridge and if you needed to cross it you had to pay a bridge fee; except on Sundays which were church days. The huge amount of people crossing every Sunday towards the Sundeved side of the city meant that it got the nickname the Holy side.

It is not a place I have visited that often; it is pretty far from Copenhagen but the region is really pretty. I have mostly been there like now for a seminar or a conference.

One of many mills in the area