A cold day in Stockholm

Stockholm Travel Blog

Looking out on a cold Stockholm

It was a fabulous morning; somewhat colder that I remembered the other mornings this week. They talked about -19 degree but I was not sure that it was way down there, but it was for sure close.

Stockholm was dressed in white from a mix of snow and frost; the lakes where smoking or it looked like it, because the water was not frozen yet and therefore much warmer that the rest of the surrounds. It was kind of strange because it felt like it was raining very small particles because the rim coming from the lake.

I had been staying at hotel First Reisen at Skeppsbron; it was my first time there and hotel felt really nice; it was a hotel that just felt right by looking at it. I had checked in at the hotel the day before and I had treated myself to an upgrade to a deluxe room as they called it, after I heard that the room had a Jacuzzi and a sauna.

In front of my hotel

The room was just what I needed after a couple of cold days just north of Stockholm at a conference centre with had been in an old royal castle where the heating of the rooms had not been the force of the place.

I had started the morning with a good 30 minutes in the sauna so I was feeling warm from the inside out. The hotel had dished up with a good solid breakfast which I had rushed through not knowing how long it would take me to get to work because of the colds influence on the Stockholm morning traffic.

I had tried order a taxi at the reception before my breakfast but as at many other hotels Hotel Reisen had some taxi hosts as they are called standing in front of the hotel.

In front of my hotel
Usually these girls are in their early 20s and the job is to making sure that there are taxis at the hotels. I smiled at them; there were 3! My best guess was that 2 of them were in training. They were standing just inside the door. "Cold!" I asked; "yes" they all answered back and smiled. I asked them to order me a taxi and they promised it would be there in 6 minutes.

I decided to wait outside and the 6 minutes started to feel long as soon as I felt the cold and the strange water falling down from the river. The taxi came as promised and I jumped in and drove to work.

After work I had to go to a reception for one of our vendors and it was quite nice but it meant that I was not back at the hotel before shortly before 9 pm or 13 hours since I left the hotel in the morning.

I went up to my room and dropped off my stuff and went down the hotel restaurant. The restaurant was apparently famous for their Christmas dinner menu, but I was not that hungry so I went for a small portion of their seafood bisque and a homemade burger.

The seafood bisque was quite okay but I had hardly eaten half of it before they arrived with my burger. She apologized and asked if should take it out but I said that she could leave it. The burger turned out to be really boring and I didn’t even eat half of it. After the meal I went up to my room and stayed in the Jacuzzi and the sauna for a couple of hours.

Stockholm