Visit in Copenhagen Fishing harbour

Copenhagen Fishing Habour Travel Blog

The boat of Krølle; on of the best known persons in the habour

It had been years since I visited the fishing harbor in Copenhagen; I used to come here a lot 15 years ago when the harbor was established. The harbor was a part of huge project where the city hall wanted to clean up the whole area in order to attract industry and housing project to an area that really needed a lift.

At the same time one of friends and two others had brought a skeleton of an old traditional wood fishing boat that at least was 100 years old. I never forget how proud he was telling that he had bought a boat for 10.000 euro and I was in complete chock when I saw nothing that could be resembled with what I knew as a boat; it was just a pile of wooden planks looking like a fish eaten by a very hungry cat.

All the boats are in

Over the years I followed the rebuilding of this boat quite often it was a place for me to go down to refuge the working life and discuss life and smell wood, tar and salt water. I would bring a couple of beers to the boat builders whose skills improved all the time. I was amazed about all the skills they constantly gathered working in pure wood. The main wood type was oak which is hard to work with, but they managed to heat them in order to bend them so it could follow the beautiful lines of this old fishing boat that had sailed the rough and cold sea of Kattegat for decades.

After some years they were able to start sailing in it, but it took them more than 10 years before they had achieved what they wanted to. I loved when they bought a whole 15-20 meter high tree and transformed it to their mast.

Ice on the water
There were loads of hours dedicated before they were able to put it in the centre of the ship. Today these guys know all about wood because they built everything from the bottom themselves. They didn’t stop there they welded their own lamps in copper to put in the mast; it was truly amazing to follow.

When I need a break, I visit the harbor and look at the boat hoping to find one of them aboard for a talk. I have been fishing a lot from the side of the boat and it is a pleasure to feel the thousands of hours they put into it coming to use.

While coming here I learned to appreciate the special environment of the harbor; they stick together and help each other in a way that unfortunately is a little part of our modern Danish society. If someone has a problem everybody steps in with advice, skills or pure muscle power. One of their neighbors in the harbor is Kroelle who knows everything about boat building and has been a mentor for them. He lives on is boat and I said hallo to him today as I have done all the times I been there.

My friends were not there today and the boat was covered up for the winter in plastic so it was not worth to picture, but I will be back and hopefully my friend will be there; I miss sitting on the boat having a beer and solving the problems of our world.

Chokk says:
Thanks Dominique; It is not easy to get used to the cold. I feel much more comfortable in the warmth. Today I am even in Stockholm which is even colder.
Posted on: Jan 25, 2010
strangemystic says:
I just read this featured blog of yours, congratulations!
I can imagine that it could be difficult to get used to a colder place (again), after a somewhat less cold one like Brussels, but I see that you have already got your bearings again in your hometown.

I wish you a still smooth relocation in Copenhagen

Cheers,
Dominique
Posted on: Jan 25, 2010
The boat of Krølle; on of the bes…
The boat of Krølle; on of the be…
The wind is blowing