Trip to Stockholm

Stockholm Travel Blog

Nordic Sea Hotel

I was back in Stockholm after a few days in Brussels again. It had only been a week since all my furniture had left Brussels together with all the boxes and been installed in Copenhagen. In Brussels I had still been staying in my apartment even though it was empty; I found it stupid to stay in a hotel when I had an apartment there.

I was staying in an almost empty apartment; I had an air madras on the floor in one of the rooms, which I was sleeping on! It was a bit boring and I called my apartment Camp Brussels because I felt like being on a camping site.

I was therefore happy to go Stockholm and have the possibility to sleep in a real bed. I was in Stockholm for a workshop and it was held in the Nordic Sea Hotel which is situated in the heart of the city. It is located next door to the Arlanda Airport Express train and to the Central Railway Station and it was a good hotel for a workshop.

After work we were invited to experience the ABSOLUT ICEBAR that apparently is the world’s first permanent ice bar.

It is an Absolut bar
Inside the temperature is -5°C all year round and the entire interior including the glasses, is made from 100% pure clear ice from the Torne River in Swedish Lapland.

It is not just a place where you walk in; it is like a theme park! You are buying an entrance that includes an Absolut Vodka cocktail served in an ice glass, warm cape and gloves.

Getting in there is almost a nightmare of different prices;

·        If you pre-book the visit online in advance you have to pay 17 € per person.

·        If you book by telephone 18 € per person.

In the ice bar

·        If you just Drop-in 19,50 € per person.

·        If you are a guests staying at Nordic Sea Hotel only 15 € per person.

·        Entrance with alcohol-free cocktail 12,50 € per person.

Cold job

·        Last if you re-use your glass after your first cocktail, the refill is only 9,50 €.

Well inside it was quite fun to try; the bar was nice and we had an experience out of it. The bar was actually inaugurated in 2002, but the story about ice bars started way back in 1993 when the first original icebar was built in Jukkasjärvi.

Everything in the bar, from the seating area to the art works and the drinking glasses, is made from crystal-clear ice. Each spring, a total of 6,000 tons of ice is harvested from the Torne River. The river is located 200 kilometres north of the Arctic Circle, where there is virtually no pollution. The ice builds up gradually during the long, arctic winter, producing crystal-clear ice with occasional cracks and marble-like veils that give it a unique character.

After the Icebar we went to the restaurant.

cured Arctic char, with fingerling potatoes, bleak roe, créme fraiche all this served on an ice plate
The restaurant was nice and stylish. We were met by an extremely sweet and fresh young woman that way serving us for the rest of the evening. We were guided to our table which was nicely decorated in a strict design.

After looking at the menu we quickly decided for the Ice Menu (90 €), which was supposed to bring us the flavours of Jukkasjärvi in Swedish Lapland, served on plates made of ice!

As a starter we were introduced cured Arctic char, with fingerling potatoes, bleak roe, créme fraiche all this served on a ice plate. It was both special and very good. This was a dish that I could eat over and over again.

Our main course we were given a loin of reindeer with pumpkin, potato cake and juniper berry jus. I am usually a keen meat eater but I was not impressed by the reindeer, but it might only be my dish because the other ones really liked there meat.

As an end of this meal we were given a wonderful chocolate & nougat fondant with cloudberry ice cream. This was on the other hand a wonderful end of the meal. During the meal we had been given a wine menu (29 €), that had been well adjusted to the dishes.

After the coffee we were give a beer as a night cap, and the beer we were given was a very tasty Swedish beer named Hell!

It had been a good day with good debates and discussions, a visit to an Ice bar and ending with a good ice menu and I had a morning flight back to Brussels leaving next morning from Stockholm airport at 6 am; it was time to go to bed, because I had to get up 4.15 am.

Chokk says:
Well only in the beginning - it was until I bought two double madrases and put them on top of each other. Ice bars are great - I did one in Brussels too
Posted on: Nov 24, 2011
freshxthisx says:
Did your back hurt after "Camp Brussels" !? I like that..:))
I know about these ice bars...never been however.
Interesting experience!
Posted on: Nov 24, 2011
Chokk says:
True :D
Posted on: Jun 06, 2011
Cold job
cured Arctic char, with fingerling…
cured Arctic char, with fingerlin…
Chocolate & nougat fondant with cl…
Chocolate & nougat fondant with c…
Drinks kept cold in ice
Loads of people entered
Loads of people entered
A Hell beer in the restaurant
A Hell beer in the restaurant
Chocolate & nougat fondant with cl…
Chocolate & nougat fondant with c…
Making drinks
Ice colours
An ice computer
An ice computer
Stockholm Hotels & Accommodations review
Nice hotel in a fabulous neighborhood
Lady Hamilton Hotel is one of three hotels in Gamla Stan in The Collector’s Hotels chain, which is owned by the Bengtsson family. I have stayed in a… read entire review
Stockholm Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
ABSOLUT ICEBAR, Stockholm
We were invited to experience the ABSOLUT ICEBAR that apparently is the world’s first permanent ice bar. Inside the temperature is -5°C all year ro… read entire review
Stockholm Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Sea Bar & Restaurant
The Sea Bar & Restaurant was nice and stylish. We were met by an extremely sweet and fresh young woman that way serving us for the rest of the evening… read entire review
Stockholm