Looking for fresh fish

Havnebyen Travel Blog

Going nowhere!

Havnebyen is situated some 20 kilometres from my friend Jacobs’s summer house towards the far end of Sjælland. Havnebyen is one of many small Danish fishing harbours spread along the more than 7000 kilometres of coast that Denmark has.

Havnebyen is a place that gives a better impression in the summertime. On a day like today everything was deserted. We had hoped that it had been possible for some boats to leave the harbour and come back with some fresh fish but there seemed to have been no activity there.

There is not much to do here even in the summer. There is a little shop that sells mostly thing to support the many sport fishers that fish this wonderful piece of coast.

Ice in the harbour
It is one of the best spots in Denmark. There is a restaurant as well but I have never been there; and as my friend Jacob says why would you go and pay 25 euro for a fish there, when you can buy a totally fresh from the boats for nothing and then go home and cook it.

On the highest point in the harbour area there is a place where they smoke fish during the summer; salmon, herring and so on. This place is worth a visit; smoked herring is wonderful. Today I don't know how much that they are open; I have been there a couple of times in the summer where it also has been closed, but if you are nearby I would definitely recommed that you check it out.

The harbour was almost empty; there were very few people there. Mostly people going for a walk and looking at the boats like us. We walked around for 30 minutes before we decided to see if we could have more luck at another Harbour, but first we wanted to drive to Gniben.

The centre of the Harbour