Copenhagen Travel Blog› entry 475 of 566 › view all entries
The Botanical Garden's history goes back to August 2, 1600, when the first garden was established by a Royal deed of gift at the current Fiolstræde and Krystalgade. It was very small and it was used primarily by physicians, and it contained hardly anything but most important medicinal plants,. The garden didn't get much support at that time and it was often random; the most substantial support was a gift of 1,200 rigsdalere that Professor Rasmus Bartholin in 1696 gave so the interest rates could contribute to the garden's maintenance.
Today's garden is the fourth and the construction of this garden begun in 1871 and was completed in 1874 by the transformation of the piece of Østervold and associated glacis from Gothersgade to the university.
There are today cultivated over 22,000 different registered plants that are spread over a number of open-air section and incubators. The different sections are landscaped with soil conditions that correspond to different plant groups. The outdoor section includes among others:
Danish neighborhood with wild Danish plants. The so called ¨Morænebedet^, which grows plants from mountainous areas.The area with wild perennials. The Rock gardens were there are growing mountain plants in different soil types and the East Asian neighborhood with wild plants from China and elsewhere in East Asia.
In addition there are 27 greenhouses with different groups of plants and growing conditions - of these 10 homes are open to public. The most famous of these green houses are the 5 that are included in the large palm house, which has existed since the garden's creation.