Downtown Honolulu

Hawaii Travel Blog

Luau lessons at Ala Moana Beach

Today my friend and I drove to Ala Moana Beach (right across from the Ala Moana Mall).  Here the waters were very calm and peaceful.  There was an  instructor giving luau lessons; a guy sitting on the rocks catching crabs; a couple other fishermen fishing; a marina with several sail boats/yatchs; a group of regatas paddling away; the mountains as a backdrop; in the front a small pond with some guys sailing their mechanical toy boats; the shopping mall directly across from the beach and all those beautiful hotels - all of this visible seen from this location.

After a lovely swim, I had to walked over to Ala Moana Mall to check out the shopping there.  I met some friends there and then headed over to China Town for dim sum.  After dim sum, I walked around the area and was amazed at the number of flower shops on almost every corner with such lovely, colorful bouqets.

China Town
  I picked up some papayas, pineapples and mangoes for my friend.

Later that evening, I walked down to King Street from my friend's condo and took Bus #2 which goes on Ala Moana Boulevard and eventually to Waikiki.  I got off at Kalulani Ave (actually I should have gotten off at the stop before) and walked to the Halekulani Hotel (right on the beach).  There I met up with my friend from the condo as well as my friend from the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani.  We sat outside, had some cocktails/ordourves, listen to the local Hawaiian band/singer and soaked in the sunset... oh what a life!

After this we walked around Waikiki and checked out the other hotels such as the Sheraton Waikiki, Royal Hawaiian and the Wyndham.  We then strolled around Kalakaua Avenue, ate ice cream and checked out International Market Square and other shops in the area.  This is the happening place in town for sure.

Man catching crabs