Two Weeks in Paradise

Hawaii Travel Blog

Hawaii, here I come!

After waiting and wishing to visit Hawaii, the opportunity to go this year finally arrived.  Not only was I going but I was going to be spending two weeks including Christmas in paradise!  I was so excited: what to expect, what to wear and what to do while there.  My friend gave me the book Insights on Hawaii to read but it was difficult to put together an itinerary not knowing what the actual layout or logistics of the islands would be.  So after reading and consulting with others, I decided that I would try to see at least three (Oahu, Maui and Hawaii) out of the five most popular islands and stay flexible with my day to day agenda especially that I had to depend on my friend for transportation in and around the islands.  I knew that I had to see the Polynesian Cultural Center, Pearl Harbor, the volcano, the humpback whales and swim in the ocean.  Outside of that, everything else was fair game.  I was hoping to see Kauai but there was not enough time on this trip; Since it was the holidays, all the fares from the US as well as the inter-island fares were at their premium prices.  I opted for the most economical price that I could get ($815) but that meant changing planes two times in Newark and LA.

Hawaii has been one of my dream destinations for many years and finally the opportunity to go arrived this year.  I was so excited as I headed to Regan National Airport in Washington DC to catch my flight to Newark.  From Newark, I took another flight to Los Angeles (6 hours) and from Los Angeles to Honolulu, Oahu (6 hours).  As I got off the plane, I felt that wonderful tropical temperature...yes I am in Hawaii!!!  My friend greeted me with a beautiful Hawaiian lay made of fresh orchids!  A dramatic upgrade from the dollar store lays that I am used to!

I picked up my luggage and we headed to our hotel in Waikiki Beach.  It was pretty late and I was exhausted from such a long flight and I have to catch an early tour to the Polynesian Cultural Center tomorrow morning.