Ollanta, Ollanta, Ollanta!!!

Cusco Travel Blog

Train from Cusco to Aguas Caliente

I wake up at 5am because I am still on London time, but I shake it off and get ready for my trip to Aguas Caliente.

I needed to make my way to Ollantataybo (Ollanta) as I already had a ticket from Ollanta to Aguas Caliente, which is the small town at the base of the mountain to Machu Picchu.  The hostel staff tell me that there is a local bus that will take me and my brother to Ollanta for just 10 soles and it is just a few blocks away.

When you approach this bus stop, which is made up of a open parking lot of minivans waiting to take passagers to Ollanta.  There is a group of people outside howling for customers 'Ollanta,Ollanta, Ollanta!' We arrive for our bus with time to spare and sit in the van which at this point on has 5 passagers.  The driver, looking oh so nervous starts driving the van only to take it outside of the parking lot and park it on the side of the street, leaving the engine running to scour for more passagers!!!! Running up and down the street yelling at every person around if he/she wants to go in the direction of Ollanta we slowly begin to gather numbers.... I remember now that the van does not leave until its pretty full!

We make our way to Ollanta, driving through Chichinero and other little towns, picking up passagers along the way.

One thing that I want to mention as a question to anyone that knows... Its May and 20 degrees in the daytime and most locals wear atleast a thick jumper, most wearing a winter coat.  Me and my brother are confortable in tshirts and are just puzzled at how the locals are not sweating buckets.

Can anyone tell me why???

photo by: Vlindeke