Meeting Harish (swan_summer)

Philadelphia Travel Blog

inside Church Christ

This day, I would be meeting up with Harish (swan_summer), who contacted me through here and Facebook, but more so on Facebook. I could only meet up with him on a Sunday. I did get a text message from him that he has gotten into town. I could only receive them on my phone, but not send them.

When the day came, I took the train into the city, as I live in the suburbs. Once I arrived there, I walked from Market East station in the Gallery, to the visitor center. I gave Harish a call, and would meet up with him near the Liberty Bell. He came with Justin, someone he knew from work.

Harish (who usually goes by Harry) is originally from India, but has relocated to Albuquerque for work. He has taken advantage of being in the US, visiting various places around the US and Canada.

Elfreth's Alley
He was more into Couchsurfing than TravBuddy, and stayed at the part of the city with some Couchsurfers, that was way out of reach for me. And Justin, I think he was originally from Phoenix, but I can't really recall.

We tried to look for a place where we could get panoramic views of the city. I honestly don't think there were any, as I remember asking a few years ago. We went to a gift shop, and asked the person there, and told us of a certain location. Only when we went there, there was nothing. After walking around for a little while, we just gave up.

So all 3 of us, walked to Old City neighborhood, and looked into the Franklin Court. But it was where Benjamin Franklin lived at one point, but unfortunately, the place was under renovations. So we continued on, and came to Christ Church.
cat at window, with flowers

Founded in 1695 by the Church of England, this church was where some of the signers of the Declaration of Independence attended. Like George Washington, Ben Franklin, and Betsy Ross. There was a guide giving a tour to a bunch of school kids. We went inside, and sat for a little while.

Afterwards, we went back out, and headed to Elfreth's Alley, considered "our nation's oldest residential street". About a block long, it dates back to 1702. And the best 18th century preserved houses in the city. I got to go inside one of them, which is a museum. While looking nice from the outside, it does seem cramped inside. I went to see the few rooms, and the courtyard in the back. This street does have a charm to it, feeling like a step back in time.

I got to even see a cat sitting at the window, inside one of the houses.
Justin, me, Harish
And some of you know how excited I can get, when it comes to cats?

After seeing the alley, we walked to the Betsy Ross House, but did not go inside it. Instead, we bought drinks at a stand there, and just hung out, and get to know each other better. It was a nice time.

After hanging out for about an hour, we left the place. Harish and Justin wanted to go to the Art Museum steps, to reenact Rocky, but it was too far of a walk. At least I think it is. So we had to part ways, as I had to go back home, and they had to go in the opposite direction to get their car. I went back to the Gallery, and hopped on the next train back, heading home.

This was the first time that I met a TBer, here in my home city. I don't get to do this very often, so this was really nice.

WalterC says:
Actually, if you came around now, you would be the third. :) I would meet up with another TBer, months later. I am about to post the entry and photos of that one soon.
Posted on: Aug 05, 2013
cotton_foam says:
Hope we'll be the second TBer to visit you?! ;-)
Posted on: Aug 05, 2013
a home on Elfreths Alley
a home on Elfreth's Alley
cat at window
cat at window
cat looking at me (not easy to get…
cat looking at me (not easy to ge…
door of home on Elfreths Alley