Fly Eagles Fly

Philadelphia Travel Blog

Lincoln Financial Field

I would attend my first Eagles game at Lincoln Financial Field, also known as the Linc. And the first time since 1998, which was when the Eagles played at Veterans Stadium (often referred to as simply "The Vet"), which has since been demolished. I have only been to 2 games in my lifetime, both at the Vet. With football ticket prices being a lot higher than baseball, and since I was always on a budget, are enough reasons why I did not go to an Eagles game.

But I thought it was about time I went to a game at the Linc. Earlier in the month, I took a tour of the place, but did not feel content with just touring. I really wanted to see a game. To me, a visit to a stadium only counts for a regular season game, not a tour. I may feel differently when touring sports venues outside the US, but I digress.

Eagles vs. Saints
More about the touring part and more in the review here.

I bought a ticket on Ebay earlier in the week. I got a head start, leaving my home early, and taking the train into the city. No way would I ever drive to the stadium, and deal with the horrible traffic, and pay the high parking fee. I got to the sports complex, passing by the Spectrum (now defunct), the Wachovia Center (home of the Flyers and 76ers), and Citizens Bank Park (home of the Phillies). People tailgating in the parking lot.

I entered the stadium, and finally, I was at an Eagles game at the Linc. I went to my seat, which turned out to be in the shade. A great location, as I can't stand sitting in the sunlight. It was definitely a lot of fun to sing along to the Eagles fight song, with the entire stadium.
me at Eagles game

The Philadelphia Eagles played the New Orleans Saints, in the 2nd week of the season. It was the home opener for the Eagles, who were without their starting quarterback, Donovan McNabb, who got hurt in the season opener at Carolina. So backup Kevin Kolb would get the start. Both teams were 1-0 to start the 2009 season, and after the way Eagles destroyed the Panthers in Week 1, I thought they would come away with a win after this game.

The 1st half was close, with both teams first trading a touchdown, then a field goal. Then the Saints scored a touchdown, and the Eagles scored a field goal as time expired in the half. The 2nd half was a different story. The Saints exploded and dominated, while the Eagles just simply had no answer for Drew Brees and the Saints offense, who just scored at will. Final score: Saints 48, Eagles 22

Needless to say, a lot of people went home not happy at all. Just getting destroyed at home, what a major embarrassment! I stayed for the entire game, even with a lot of people leaving early. Guess I just wanted to get my ticket's worth, one way or another.

I don't know if I'll go on a quest to visit every football stadium in the NFL, since tickets are harder to get, and prices a lot higher. But if I decide to do that, this will be Stadium #1.

lauro says:
youre really an NFL fan walter!
Posted on: Jan 14, 2013
WonderDog says:
Woof! Scooter like tailgaters!
Posted on: Jan 05, 2010
WalterC says:
Me too, and it's not just because I'm an Eagles fan. They better show up this time!
Posted on: Jan 05, 2010
final score :(
final score :(
Philadelphia Sights & Attractions review
Watch Eagles Fly
Also known as “the Linc” to locals, this football stadium is home of the Philadelphia Eagles, as well as home of the Temple Owls college football … read entire review
Philadelphia