76ers Not Enough Heat

Philadelphia Travel Blog

Wachovia Center

When going to the Sports Complex to buy some Phillies tickets, I decided to take in a Philadelphia 76ers game at the Wachovia Center. The first game I've ever attended, was in 1991, back when Charles Barkley played for the team, the only once I've attended at the old Spectrum. The Sixers, along with the Flyers, moved to its current home, the Wachovia Center. Since then, I've been to a few games over the years.

I admit, I am usually nothing more than a casual fan of basketball, and follow it through ESPN or Yahoo Sports. It certainly does not help that the Sixers (as they are commonly known as) had a horrible season. I have been to a few games over the years, but this would be the first time I've actually made it for the start of the game.

After buying tickets at Citizens Bank Park, I went to the ticket office to buy a seat to the Sixers game against the Miami Heat.

76ers vs. Heat
I figure, the game is not sold out, and it's coming close to the end of the regular season, with the Sixers not going to the playoffs. When buying the ticket, I was shocked to learn that there is a fee for buying at the window. That just annoyed me, big-time. It's bad enough that fees get charged for buying online or over the phone, but a fee for buying in person is just plain ridiculous.

I would sit at one end of the court, looking around. I saw the banners for the Flyers and Sixers at the ceiling, which were for division titles and championships won during their respective history. During halftime, I just walked around the hallway. There is a display of old uniforms and game balls, of milestones reached.

The 76ers took on Dwayne Wade and the Miami Heat.
final score
The Heat just played for placement in the conference, which would determine who they played in the first round of the playoffs. The Sixers just wanted the season to end, as this was the last home game of the season.

The game was not as lopsided as their records indicate, and I thought the Sixers would come away with a victory when they led at the half, and after 3 quarters. But Wade had 30 points in the game, and assisted on the game winning shot by Udonis Haslem, with only 1 second left. Andre Iguodalaï tried to hit a game-tying shot for the home team, but missed. And the Heat beat the Sixers, 107-105. An entertaining game, even though not the result that I hoped for.

After the game, I walked around the place, and headed back home.

WalterC says:
Yeah, I do enjoy going to sports events, though don't go as much as I like, since it costs some serious money.
Posted on: Feb 05, 2013
Paulovic says:
You are a real sports lover!
Posted on: Feb 05, 2013