3 Hours of Sightseeing Before Going to Work

Philadelphia Travel Blog

Independence Visitor Center

I had some time to kill, so I decided to spend some time, seeing more of the sites. Starting off at the Independence Visitor Center, which I've been to a few times before, but never really took the time to really see it.

There were a couple films playing there, but I did not have time for them. So I went to see some of the exhibitions there. One of them was about the Underground Railroad, which was not a real railroad, but a secret network of routes to help slaves escape. And there is another part about the various attractions around the city, which are basically advertisements of them. I did not really bother looking at much.

So I went outside, and was going to see the Liberty Bell again. But then, came across a new exhibition that I never seen before. It was the archaeological finds of the President's House.

remains of the President's House
The part of the house unearthed, was the slave quarters, where George Washington kept his slaves.

Surrounding it, was the exhibition that got into the executive branch of the government, the history of slavery, the different slaves owned by Washington, and how he got around the Abolition Act of 1780. I thought it was really interesting, learning that our First President... well, it does make him more human, to put it mildly. The exhibition itself, was worth the time, but the major downside, is that it is mostly in the sunlight. So it will definitely be an issue on a hot day.

Next, I went to the Philadelphia History Museum. More about it in the review here, but my main reason to visit, was for the Phillies exhibition, which is temporary.
memorabilia from a Phillies fan
On display are some memorabilia from fans, and the jerseys of Mike Schimdt and Jimmy Rollins, plus the champagne bottle used after the Phils won the World Series in 2008. And oh, in case anyone is wondering why I have not reviewed the Phillies ballpark yet, it's because I am saving it for last.

After the museum, I went by the Liberty Bell Center, where the line has gotten really long. I went to the Old City Hall, which served as the US Supreme Court when Philly was the capital. When the capital got moved to Washington DC in 1800, the building became the City Hall, up until 1901, when it moved to a different location in Center City.

Then I walked around Independence Hall, to the other side of it, and passed by the John Barry statue. Barry was an officer in the Revolutionary War, and considered the "father of the American navy".
inside Old City Hall

I had to go back towards Old City Hall, where I could only enter beside it, and had to go through a security check, to enter the area in front of it. I went to the West Wing of the Independence Hall, which has the Great Essentials Exhibit. I did not know about this until recently. It has the original printed copies of the Declaration of Independence (yes, even older than the one in DC), Articles of Confederation, and the Constitution of the United States. Unfortunately, none of them came out right in the photos, as flash photography was not allowed there.

Afterwards, I went to the visitor center to relax and eat some lunch. Then I had to leave, and go to work. In just 3 hours, I actually got more done than I thought, of the things I had on my list. But when really thinking about, these are attractions that can be done quickly, and something to do while you are waiting for your tour time at Independence Hall.

monkeymia79 says:
The exhibition on the underground railway would have been interesting. Thank you for sharing photos of the Presidents house.
Posted on: Mar 12, 2016
gingerbatik says:
at least you had a good day visited that place.
Posted on: Aug 15, 2013
Zagnut66 says:
I'm a Nats fan, Walter, so I would have to boycott the Phillies exhibit!
Posted on: Aug 07, 2013
outline of Presidents House
outline of President's House
outline of Presidents House
outline of President's House
display case of the archaeological…
display case of the archaeologica…
display on Phillies fans
statue of John Barry
statue of John Barry
west wing of Independence Hall
west wing of Independence Hall
artifacts on display at the visito…
artifacts on display at the visit…
Philadelphia Sights & Attractions review
Worth checking for locals, not really worth it for out-of-town visitors
Once known as the Atwater Kent Museum, the Philadelphia History Museum seems to be a different type of history museum, as it seems like it is more for… read entire review
Philadelphia