The 2 Must-Sees of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Travel Blog

Liberty Bell

Being off from work, and nothing else to do, I decided to be a tourist for a few hours. So I went into Center City, taking the train, as I will no longer bring a car there. I rode into the Gallery, which is the shopping mall. From there, I walked to the main attractions.

It has been a while since I've been there, having gone there with friends who visited there before. I started with the Liberty Bell, which I consider to be the symbol of Philadelphia, and always the first thing that comes to mind when it comes to must-sees in this city. I had to go through security, which was similar to the ones at the airport. More about it in the review here.

After seeing the Liberty Bell, I went to Independence Hall.

Independence Hall
After the Liberty Bell, this is the second thing that I recommend seeing. Being January, which is the off-season, I was able to come back later until the next tour time. But this is usually not the case during the busier times of the year. More about the place in the review here.

I also took the time to see Congress Hall, which was to right of Independence Hall. Admission to the place is free, and worth checking out. And it was relief to be inside, as it was so cold outside. As the name would indicate, this was where Congress met during the time when Philadelphia was the capital of the young nation. It served as the Capitol building from 1790 to 1800, when the capital was moved to the Federal City (now Washington DC). There was the Old City Hall to the left, but it was closed.

It was time to head back home, as it started to get dark. So I walked back to the Gallery, and catch the train back home. It was a fun day, and regardless of how times I've been to those sites, I don't get tired of them.

If one has only 1 day to see Philly, definitely don't miss these 2 sites. And Congress Hall and Old City Hall can be seen, while waiting for the next tour time of Independence Hall.

WalterC says:
It's true, as I've found myself revisiting some places, first time as an adult. When I was a kid, the only thing I was interested was the local arcade.
Posted on: Aug 06, 2013
Zagnut66 says:
I vaguely remember seeing the Liberty Bell as a child. It's one of those iconic things that I need to revisit as an adult to really appreciate it.
Posted on: Aug 06, 2013
cotton_foam says:
I'd be happy to have a picture taken of myself next to the liberty bell!! :-)
Posted on: Aug 05, 2013
clock tower on Independence Hall
clock tower on Independence Hall
Congress Hall
Congress Hall
Assembly Room in Independence Hall
Assembly Room in Independence Hall
piano on 2nd floor of Independence…
piano on 2nd floor of Independenc…
Governors Council Chamber
stairway in Independence Hall
other side of Independence Hall
other side of Independence Hall
Philadelphia Sights & Attractions review
Do Not Miss When In Philly!
No visit to Philadelphia would be complete without a visit to Independence Hall, which was where America was born. Independence Hall was built bet… read entire review
Philadelphia Sights & Attractions review
First Thing to See in Philly
When asked what’s there to see and do in Philly, the first answer is almost always the Liberty Bell. And often, the first thing to see in Philly, be… read entire review
Philadelphia