My Home City

Philadelphia Travel Blog

postcard

Getting the idea from Brian (spocklogic), I decided to write a brief introduction to this blog. And the date is when I first joined TravBuddy.

This blog is not the traditional travel blog, since I live around the Philadelphia area. Nicknamed the "City of Brotherly Love", or simply "Philly" for short, I was born just outside of the city, but did live in the city in the early part of my life. And continued to go into the city, since my parents owned a business there, and I would commute back and forth for college and work. So I would tell people that I am from Philly, even though I live in the suburbs, since people are more likely to know that and not some name of a small town.

Philadelphia is well-known for its history, as it was founded in 1682 by William Penn. Most notably, it is well-known as the birthplace of America, since the Declaration of Independence was signed on July 4, 1776. And it served as the nation's capital from 1790 to 1800, before moving to the Federal City (now known as Washington DC).

Very often, Philly gets overlooked by travelers at times, since it has the unfortunate location of being between New York City and Washington DC. I can remember some people on the West Coast asking me where it was, when telling them that I'm from Philly.

There is enough to do here, to take up 3 days, with a lot of history, which I may get into, along the way in this blog. And of course, every visitor has to run up the steps of the Art Museum of Philadelphia, just like Rocky Balboa did in the 1976 movie.

Admittedly, I am NO expert on the city, and probably know less than the average traveler. You can definitely find better information in a guidebook than you will in this blog. I'm just a regular guy (or at least, I think I am), who comes into the city for work, and occasionally has fun here. But since I live outside the city, and decided to never drive into the city again (unless I really have to), the visits to the city are not often.

Reason not to drive in this city, is mainly due to congestion and narrow streets. Very easy to get lost in, plus parking fees is ridiculously high. Not to mention, very stressful. Also, need to save on gas.

But hopefully, this blog will be helpful.

monky says:
Hi Walter congrats on your Philadelphia blog award nice and informative have a great weekend!:)
Cho says:
Congratulations for this featured blog, and YES, Walter and Bill I hate to say this, but most Americans are very bad in their knowledge of other countries. Can't say I blame them though. I read an article that only 3% of Americans have traveled outside the US (most of them to Canada and Mexico only) and like Walter said, I suppose "they don't care."
Johnpro says:
Congratulations Walter for the featured :)
Philadelphia