The Flight from Hell

Los Angeles Travel Blog

JAL airplane with Mount Fuji in the background seen from Narita in Tokyo on a clear day.

Stuck in LAX what a torturous place, to spend an entire day from early hours of the morning to 6pm in the evening. The amount of times I walked up and down those aisles looking in the book shop, duty free shop staring into oblivious while sitting and waiting, the odd snooze here and then only to be woken by the raging anger of passengers waiting. ( I'm sure you can guess what nationality those embarrassing people were from.)

It all started when the American Airlines flight to Tokyo was delayed for an initial 2 hours when flight attendants were connecting to join this flight, I guess their original flight was delayed. Once boarded and ready to go everyone was anxious to depart but a two hour delay isn't that bad. The engine up and running, the  propellars whirling, the wheels rolling on the tarmac heading for take off when the plane came to a sudden halt aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh.

The pilot now on the loud speaker blaring throughout the airplane "I wish to inform you that the airplanes brakes light can not be switched off indicating that we have no brakes. We think that it is just a small electrical error and the electrician is coming out now. I'm sure it will only take a few minutes to repair and we'll be up in the air before you know it. The flight attendants will be by offering you some beverages. I'll will update you with more information".

First in LAX, now stuck on the tarmac but I am happy they found the malfunction before taking off. 2 hours pass and we are still stuck staring into a back of a chair, people getting restless when the piliot comes onto the speaker to inform us that it is taking a lot longer to repair and that it would be in our best interests if we were all to get off the plane and wait in the airport, we are however very sorry and we will all be giving you a meal voucher which you can use at any restaurant for lunch"

With voucher in hand, I looked to see what the value of the voucher was aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh $10 only, what can I even eat for 10$, I thought.

Mount Fuji
ã��I looked around the restaurants in LAX and the only meal that the voucher covered was STARBUCKS or MCDONALD'S. That's not good enough I thought so we ate at a Mexican restaurant and paid the rest with our money.  I remember when we were delayed in Bali, they gave us a pass so we could go rest in their lounge where they had showers, food and beverages but here they wouldn't even give us a real meal.

That day 10 hours passed stuck in LAX before we finally borded the plane again, this time we finally departed arriving in Tokyo late at night, buses waiting for us to be taken to a hotel, that the airline had organised for all passengers to stay the night. Checked in around midnight.  The restaurant had stayed open and prepared everyone a meal of salmon with some sweet sauce on it, I don't know if it was the hour but I had no appetite and I just picked with my food, not really eating before giving up and going to bed.

Mount Fuji

Next day was a beautiful clear day and from Narita Airport in Tokyo you could actually see mount Fuji in the background. The plane flew so close to Fuji�that I got to see into the Mountain calderon I was really impressed I'M not a real window person, I don't really need one but I'M glad I had one this time.

Was I angry with American airlines, no like I said I'M glad they noticed and repaired theproblem before we were in the air but was I disapointed with the service, yes when I compared with what happened in Bali.

rotorhead85 says:
That's a long lay-over. Delays are way too common these days.
Posted on: Aug 05, 2010
JAL airplane with Mount Fuji in th…
JAL airplane with Mount Fuji in t…
JAL airplane with Mount Fuji in th…
JAL airplane with Mount Fuji in t…
mountain range