San Simeon to San Luis Obispo

San Simeon Travel Blog

We don't have these in England
Even though the mileage today would be relatively high (for me) at 52 miles, I had hoped this would be a relaxing day - not so. Julian and Adam had sped away the previous afternoon, riding through the late evening to leapfrog ahead, but Lee, Willy and I rendevoused at the artsy little town of Cambria for 2nd breakfast, then we split again with plans to RV at the hostel in San Luis Obispo. After enjoying the pier and boardwalk at Cayucos I was rolling into Morro Bay when a noise underneath me tweaked my attention - a broken spoke.
Cayucos Pier

A tense few hours followed as I gingerly cycled on towards San Luis Obispo, and getting lost on the apporach didn't help my mood - that is until my unexpected route led me past Adam and Joe, slumped outside Trader Joes by the shopping carts and working their way through $25 of deli purchases - who needs restaurants when you can eat alfresco on concrete, such is the mindset of the touring cyclist.

As soon as I arrived in San Luis Obispo, I knew I was going to like it. Finding a bike shop to replace my wheel was simple, and it had the added bonus of a coffee shop attached, so I happily killed a couple of hours waiting for the mechanics to finish. Then, with a rest day ahead of me, it took just a few minutes to locate the hostel which would be my home for the next two nights.

Once again, it was a great experience. With a selection of nice German saloons parked in the lot, many of those inside were there for the atmosphere and company rather than the cheap room rates. Lee and Willy were there for the first night, and by the second my fellow hostel mates were firm friends. Half Moon Bay Ray even showed up for a night!

San Luis Obispo is an affluent little town which seemed to be doing well on the back of the local College - Cal Poly (Go Mustangs!), giving the place a young, but chilled out vibe. I didn't do much except laze around and write a few postcards, and missed out on all the local sites, but I would definitely return and explore.
We dont have these in England
We don't have these in England