SLO to Lompoc

San Luis Obispo Travel Blog

Guadalupe
Ray and I left SLO predictably early for the 60 plus mile haul over to Lompoc. After a quick run down to the coast at Pismo Beach, the vast and secretive Vandenberg Air Force Base forces the road inland and on to another change in the journey - to me, this was the day we switched from Central to Southern California.

At lunch, I rolled into the railway town of Guadalupe. Considering that a few hours before, I'd left waspy, affluent white San Luis Obispo, Guadalupe felt much more latino. An intriguing little place, bumping into Ray for one last time, I had my first authentic CalMex food at a friendly family diner in town, then sadly rolled out of town, when I would have preferred to stay a night.
Pismo Beach

Highway One rolls in a busy four-lane loop out close to Vandenberg here, so the ACA map takes you onto 135 for a few miles, then approaches Lompoc along the fantastically beautiful Harris Grade Road. Even my final puncture of the trip couldn't lower my spirits - the road was a hard climb up, and then a super fast descent into town. The puncture took just a few minutes to locate and fix and, as ever, one of the few pickups on the road stopped to ask if I was OK - nice to be looked after.

No offence meant to the citizens of Lompoc, but I struggled to find much to love about the place - this was my first experience of an American city which lacked a defined centre, but instead was loosely focussed (if that's the wrong word) around several miles of motels, shopping malls and other stores laid out in a single North - South strip. Still, a cheap motel and a pizza were all I needed, and those I found.
Fab CalMex diner, Guadalupe
Guadalupe - cool town
Guadalupe - cool town
Flat roads (for now)
Flat roads (for now)
At the top of Harris Grade Road - …
At the top of Harris Grade Road -…
Lompoc