Monterey day off.

Monterey Travel Blog

Monterey
I do love my retail culture, so wandering round the mall with new shops to explore was great - American Eagle could prove to be a firm favourite if they make it across to the UK. And what's not to love about the Whole Foods store?, apart from the bill at the checkout. Painful, but worth it - I'd be back here tomorrow morning to stock up for the journey ahead.

Shopping done, it was straight down to the watefront and the Monterey Aquarium. If you're ever in the area and especially if you've got kids with you, do not miss the aquarium. It's a vast place with a great range of stuff to see including penguins and beautifully lit jellyfish tanks. But, the deserved highlight is the deep ocean tank - a vast blue wall of life receding into what looks like infinity, with tuna, turtles and shoals of fish circling around, no doubt as spooked as we are by the occasional appearances of the star of the show - a juvenile Great White Shark!

Dinner was at a bar - my first encounter with Monday night football - don't remember the game but fun to chat with the locals.
Amazing display
I'm slowly learning stateside bar etiquette - if you pick a booth, then you'll be left alone, but sit at the the bar and you'll be expected to participate in the conversation - very sociable. Highlight of the evening was when the young woman who'd given me mall instructions the previous evening passed by and complimented me on my purchases - ego boost and yet another thumbs up for Californian hospitality.

So, If you are journeying along the Californian coast, them Monterey would make a fine stop for a couple of days. By all accounts its incredibly busy in the summer and the motels are expensive, but I had warm sunshine and great weather in November, so consider the shoulder season. And I barely scratched the surface - I missed the famous 17 mile drive round to the rich, artsy community of Carmel with its boutiques and coffee shops - plenty to do on a return visit.
Cute penguins