Snow & Ice Festival

Shenyang Travel Blog

It started to snow just as we headed out of the city to visit the Shenyang Ice Festival.  The Ice Festival is about an hour drive north of the city and we arrived at about 4.00pm.   The snow set the scene beautifully and I felt like I was in winter wonderland movie.  As we slid our way from ice carving to carving, I heard Julie Andrews singing in my head "snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes".

Dancing penguins on the icy lake welcomed us, as did dragons and giant snow flakes.  We walked through an impressive ice forest, and said hello to a family of ice carved penguins inside the forest.  We passed by a giant Buddha surrounded by lotus flowers before crunching through the snow to the Palace of Harmony, which resembled the Forbidden City in Beijing.

Sadly, it was just freezing and we could only handle being outside for about 35 minutes before scurrying back to the car to warm our frozen fingers.  We drove past an ice bar and would have stayed for a drink, but our gracious driver had to head home.  As we drove out of the park, the lights inside the ice sculptures were turned on creating a brilliant colourful display.

The Shenyang Ice Festival may not be as grand as the Harbin Ice Festival, but it was just as exciting.  The Ice Festival is still being built and many of the displays will be completed and fully ready just in time for Chinese New Year (14 February).  Next year, Harbin!

Inside the Ice Forest
Inside the Ice Forest
The Ice Bar
The Ice Bar
Overlooking the frozen lake
Overlooking the frozen lake
Tigers in the snow
Tigers in the snow
Tigers in the snow.  The new Chine…
Tigers in the snow. The new Chin…
Gateway to the Ice Festival