Cinque Terre

Cinque Terre Travel Blog

the train
I had trouble falling asleep last night.  I guess it is true. Second night is the worst for jet lag!

I got up around 9:30am and had to start getting ready because we're going to Cinque Terre!  Cinque Terre is one of the highlights i was looking forward to.  We have an cool adventure set ahead of us.  We are to arrive today in Monterossa, the northern most of the five cities, making up Cinque Terre.  We are to then make the hike down the coastline sleep overnight in whatever town we land in, and finish the rest of the trip which would end at Riomaggiore, the southern most town.  A hike through the mountainous terrain on small and often quite narrow trails.  The total trip equalling 5.58 miles and estimated to take 5 hours.
Arriving in Montarossa
  (which i advise against.  take your time and enjoy the beautiful trip. its not a race to the end its the experience)

The plan was for Rocky to drop us off at the Pisa train station while picking up Debbie (their friend from NY).  We dropped by Palaia first to go to the post office.  I grabbed another delicious latte machiato and we were off to Pontedera bank to run an errand.  We were soon on our way to Pisa where we picked up a sunny dispositioned, blonde, very New Yorker-in-black-leather-jacket, Debbie (after her 20 hr flight) and then Rocky attempted to drop us off at the train station which and finally succeeded after three tries (the roads are very confusing).
Monterossa

We got our tickets and hopped on a hot train to La Specia where we were supposed to catch another train to Montarossa.  I sat across from an American girl (NY). She was travelling alone and said she usually does.  It does allow a good deal of freedom, but i dont know if I would have the guts to travel alone.  Almost everyone on the train was a tourist, mostly Americans... and one straight Korean girl fob status.

Well the train ended up breaking down and we got stuck at a station for 25 minutes until the conductor told us we would have to disembark and move to train lane 3.  Well he lied, train in lane 3 came in the train lane 2 spot.  Everyone got on and we followed the masses.  Trains do not seem to follow their lane schedule in Italy.

At this point, I was getting very hungry and grumpy.
Monterossa
  It was just my luck it should break down.  Thankfully after switching the trains, we only had about three more stops until Montarossa.

Arriving was wonderful!  The train traveled through the mountains and when we arrived it was sunny and the water was blue. It was a quaint little town which we explored a bit before we settled on lunch.  We walked to the top of Montarossa and looked into the gated lemon tree gardens with trees full of lemons upon shelved fields with an Italian flag above.  It was quite picturesque.  We decided to eat at La Pizzaria Smorfia.  We sat at an outside table and had a SUPER thing crusted margharitera.  Tomato and cheese.  What better place to get it than in the country it originated.  It was absolutely delicious!

Montarossa